Would Voluma work well for dark circles/under eye hollows on 40-year-old? (photo)

I just turned 40 and though i have beautiful skin but have dark circles /under eye hollows. I am really scared to get anything done on my face but my eyes are becoming darker and makes me look older . I may also want minimal lift on the cheeks .I am thinkig about Juvederm voluma . Please advise a good experienced doctor in Jacksonville Florida.

Dark circles and eye hollows are a very complex issue and caution is advised

+1
Dark circles under the eyes is a very complex issue, and it can have many contributing factors.  Many of these factors don't have anything to do with volume, and thus, the addition of volume with fillers would at best not change things at all, and could even make things worse.  The under eye area has the thinnest skin on the body, and as such, it can often be almost translucent.  This gets worse as we age and our skin becomes even thinner.  When this happens the pigment of the underlying muscle, which is a reddish-brownish-purplish color, can show through the skin and give the appearance of dark circles.  Add to this the fact that there is no fat between the skin and muscle in this region like there is on your arm or leg, and it is easy to see how this dark color can be very apparent on some people.  If there is some laxity of the tissues or some concavity of the surface contour, then this can create some shadowing by reflecting light in a direction away from the eye of the observer.  This in turn causes the appearance of a darkness there and can worsen the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.  Lastly, some people have chronic intermittent swelling of their eyelids, or they get permanent staining of the skin from deposition of pigments directly in the skin, and this contributes to dark circles too.  So, out of that entire lengthy discussion about dark circles, the only thing mentioned that can be helped by fillers is contour irregularities.  If such a contour issue exists, then filler would be indicated to at least help the dark circles.  Otherwise, I would advise against fillers in this area; it is a very unforgiving area and must be injected only when indicated and only by those familiar with the techniques and anatomy.  Having said all of that, in looking at the one image you have sent, although the lighting is poor, you appear to be smiling, and there is only one angle, it doesn't appear that contour is your only problem.  Thus filler injection may or may not be a good solution for you.  You will need to be evaluated by an experienced injector to determine whether this would help you or not.  In addition to this, I would not recommend Voluma in this area as it is too dense for these very delicate tissues.  I have tried them all in this area (except Voluma!), and my favorite for this thus far is Belotero because it is so gentle and soft.  Results from that filler here are outstanding.  As for the cheeks, Voluma is great there, and sometimes creating some volume and lift in the cheeks helps the under eye area too.  I hope this helps, good luck!

Voluma for lifting, not for under eyes

+1
Voluma is a great new filler that helps give your cheeks a "lift" - it's best when placed directly over the zygomatic arch (cheekbones) and can really give your cheeks a nice coutour.  That being said, it is not meant to be placed in the tear troughs (hollow under the eyes).  For this area Belotero (a thinner, less firm and viscous filler) is ideal.  Some patients find that after getting the Voluma in the cheeks their under eye hollows actually improve without any filler placed there at all!
I would definitely consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in your area who has experience with both Belotero and Voluma.

Erica Linnell, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Colima for dark circles under eyes

+1
Hello Dazzler,
Voluma is NOT recommended for the area with dark circles under your eyes, where the skin is very thin.
A thinner product, like Belotero would be ideal for that area, as long as it is injected by a qualified Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.
To find a qualified Dr in your area, look  under  "Expert Injectors"

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Dark Circles/Tear Troughs

+1
Fillers work extremely well for this indication and will generally last for 1-2 years or longer.  Voluma would not be a great choice for this area as it is a little to firm and doesn't offer any thing in return.  Something like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra, usually diluted with lidocaine, would be a perfect choice and work great.  Save the Voluma for your cheeks....

Seth Kates, MD
Worcester Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma not the best filler under the eyes

+1
Volumna has a very high G-prime value, which means it raises up the skin over where it is placed. For undereye hollows, Beletero, which spreads (like spackle) more than it lifts, or Restylane, would be more beneficial.  Restylane is great for the zygomatic/cheek areas as well. It is important to place the filler in these areas where it will recreate the oval prominence one normally has with a well-balanced face, rather than just filling the anterior cheek which can create an unnatural, chipmunk look.

I only know of Milan Lombardi, MD, in the Tampa area, who is using both Beletero and Restylane. Sorry that I don't know of anyone in Jacksonville. I have people coming to me from as far away as Korea, Singapore, and Saudi Arabia, so perhaps it is worthwhile to travel a bit if needed.

I hope you will enjoy your results! 

Sheryl D. Clark, MD