Do You Turn Down Requests for "Porn Star Boobs?"

From what I've read on RealSelf, it seems (board-certified) plastic surgeons generally try to convince women to choose moderate, natural-looking implants, and also design the surgery (position, incision etc) to be an unnoticeable as possible.

So I'm curious: when women come in specifically requesting "porn star boobs," do you try and talk them out of it first? How frequently do women request such unnatural-looking implants?

Appropriate size for breast implants

+2

For many of us, we spend a lot of time on addressing the patient's concerns and desires over the implant size. But it really becomes our job to thoroughly evaluate that patient's breast and make the best recommendation for size based not always on patient desire but the reality of the soft tissue situation. You can't make the tissue accept  too large an implant without serious consequences.  I know that when I perform a breast augmentation, it represents a "long term investment" for that patient, and if a patient has an unrealistic expectation in regards to size, I would rather not even start "down that road"- ask  a patient with macromastia about her back ache, neck ache, "sagging" etc. I don't have too many patients who request really large breasts;  many just want to feel fuller with a little more upper pole fullness.  Nor am I against larger sizes if the patient's anatomy is appropriate and she understands all of the pros and cons of larger breast devices.  It really is a process which is very indivdualized, and I encourage patients to get a number of opinions from board-certifed plastic surgeons which should give them enough information to make their decisions

Excessively large breast implants

+2

When a patient wants a excessively large breast implants, I try to explain the increased risks vs benefits.  These patients have all the problems of those with hypermastia wanting a breast reduction i.e. back, neck and shoulder pain.  They also have excessive skin stretch and possible tissue loss.  Eventually these patients will require revision surgery at a much higher rate and may have irreversible tissue changes that cannot be fixed.  Donald R. Nunn MD Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Choosing The Right Implant for Breast Augmentation

+1

Every surgeon has his/her own philosophy.  I like to think of my patients as a long-term investment.  The only way to obtain natural results with the best chance of minimizing complications such as skin looseness, nipple ptosis, nipple numbness, thinning of the skin and visibility of the implant, is to pick an implant which can COMFORTABLY fit into the dimensions of the patient's breast height, width and skin envelope.

I, therefore, DO turn down patients who have unrealistic requests.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Porn star breasts

+1

Each consult for any cosmetic procedure is a very individualized process.  Your surgeon should understand what your desires are and you, as a patient, need to understand what the risks are not only during early post operative period but in your lifetime.  As long as I feel that the patient understands the risks that are involved with the procedure I will try to accomodate the patients request.  In situations where the requests seem "out of the ordinary" I will usually see this patient at least 4 times and have her see some of my partners for second opinions.  If I feel that the request is unhealthy, or if the patient is flippant about the medical risks, I would not do the procedure.  However, each surgeon has his or her standards but I know as a community of physicians, our fist concern is for the safety or our patients.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

What size implants to use?

+1

Every case should be individuaklized for each patient. In the grand scheme it is best to chose breast implants that fit your fram and body proportion. This having been said some women want a given size, sometimes large, and if their tissues can accomadate a larger implant then they can have the surgery. You have to try to think not just for the present time but what the large implants will do to your tissues over time.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

+1

In Miami we see this very often. I, personally, discuss in detail the options, try to understand the patients desires. I also request the patient to obtain 2 additional consults from boarded PS's in Miami. If she still desires than I will consider her requests. 

Breast implants and size

+1

There many technical reasons not to place an implant that exceeds the dimensions and tissue characteristics of a given patient. Personally, I see rarely a patient that comes in with that request. I always cousnel patients on appropriate size and discuss the porblems associated with a poor choice. I believe that is our obligation to give sound advice and even turn away patients who are unrealistic or insistent on doing something wrong for their bodies. I imagine there is some variation in what a given surgeon will or will not do

Michael Hueneke, MD

Most Patients Want Naturally Appearing Breasts With Augmentation

+1

Most of the patients that I see do want to achieve naturally appearing but augmented breasts.  I do not, however, insist on this.  I am willing to provide unnaturally appearing breasts if this is what a patient desires as long as they are very clear about understanding that there is a definite increase risk of having certain problems (capsular contracture, bottoming out, double-bubble, etc.).

John Whitt, MD