Breast Reduction Post Op Day 11, Nipples Not Healing Same Way?

I had breast reduction surgery 11 days ago. One of my nipples seems healty and normal. It faces outside. But the other one feels dry, sunk into areola, and bleeding very lightly (like one ore two drops in a day). Am I loosing that nipple? I am freaking out...

Asymmetric Nipple Areolar Complex Healing

+2

Base on your photos, the nipples appear OK. However, it appears that there is a small amount dusky skin at the periphery of one of the areolae.  Without a face to face exam it is impossible to tell if this is just a small amount of scab or deeper tissue necrosis. Close follow up with your Plastic Surgeon is essential to make the correct diagnosis and ensure optimal treatment.

Thanks for your question. Best of Luck!

Breast reduction and nipple issue

+2

Without an exam it is difficult to tell. It is best for you to see your surgeon in  person to be properly evaluated.

Healing problem around the nipple and areola from a breast reduction

+1

Healing is never symmetric.  It is not uncommon with any plastic surgical procedure when two sides are operated upon that one side will do better than the other.  But over time the two sides will even out and if the surgery was planned and performed correctly everything will balance out in the end.  You have an open area due to lack of blood supply in this zone.  Continue to follow your plastic surgeons recommendations and eventually it will heal.  After it is healed you may need a small scar revision

Nipple Areola Complex Concerns after Breast Reduction

+1

Any change in the color of the nipple areola complex should be examined.  Sometimes, the color change is only bruising.  Sometimes, it is indicative of compromise.  If only a small portion of the areola is involved, the area usually heals very nicely.

Concerns after Breast Reduction?

+1

Always  best to check with your own plastic surgeon about concerns after surgery. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with meaningful diagnosis, treatment recommendations, or reassurance.

Having said that, I do not think that you need to be concerned about losing nipple/areola complexes. One of your areola may be demonstrated mild/limited areas of decreased blood flow;  probably will not end up with significant long-term sequelae.

Again, your plastic surgeon will be your best resource for you.
Best wishes;  hopefully, you will be very pleased with the  long-term outcome of the breast reduction procedure.

Nipples Healing Differently after Breast Reducation

+1

It is not unusually to have a difference in healing between the two sides. Based on the pictures, the nipple seems alive but this should be discussed with your surgeon

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon