Turbinate Reduction or Nasal Cycle?

I have a trouble breathing that switches nostrils periodically. There is a significant difference between each nostril, almost being unable to breathe out of either nostril. I have read that Turbinate Reduction is a surgery done to correct this, although I've read that this is also normal, being called a Nasal Cycle. My question is how do you know if you need the Turbinate Reduction surgery, or if it is just a normal Nasal Cycle?

Its normal to have slight alternating nasal blockage

+1

We all experience varying degrees of nasal blockage which tends to fluctuate from side to side. Usually nothing needs to be done about this.

However, If the blockage persists and becomes a problem, it can be improved. Turbinate reduction is a simple procedure that can often be done without any "downtime".   

Your ear nose throat specialist (otolaryngologist) will be able to provide you with more information. 

South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal cycle of turbinate overgrowth

+1

The best way to determine if you would benefit from turbinate reduction surgery is to have your nose examined by an otolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat surgeon) or facial plastic surgeon.

There can be a few possible reasons your having trouble breathing. It is normal to have nasal cycling that you describe, but most people aren't aware of it since they have enough leeway inside their nose to allow for adequate airflow even when that side of the nose is congested.

A deviated nasal septum, turbinate overgrowth, nasal polyps and nasal valve collapse are a few basic causes of nasal congestion. An experienced nasal surgeon should be able to assess your nose and help you pin down what is going on in your case.

You can learn more about turbinate reduction surgery at my web reference link below.

Web reference: http://www.rhinoplastyinseattle.com/functional-rhinoplasty/turbinate-reduction

Turbinate reduction or nasal cycle

+1

Glenwell, 70-80% of people have nasal cycle, an alternating nasal congestion every 6-8 hours that maintains a relatively constant degree of nasal resistance.  It is from increasing blood flow through the congested nostril so that there is tissue engorgement particularly involving the inferior turbinates and erectile tissue on the upper septum.  Most people aren't aware of it because there is enough space on each side that the tissue swelling doesn't impact the airway.  Those individuals who notice it have some constriction of the nasal airway either from large turbinates or a deviated septum.  One way to know if turbinate reduction is helpful would be to use Afrin.  If there is significant improvement in both nostrils  then reversible tissue swelling is usually the cause and turbinate reduction would be expected to significantly improve the airway.  If the Afrin doesn't help much then either there is significant enlargement of the bony turbinate supports, there are nasal polyps, the nasal valve is constricted, the septum is bilaterally deviated, and/or the turbinate tissue is fibrotic.   It is very helpful to have someone examine the nose and see it before and after decongestion  to accurately determine the cause of your symptoms.  Dr. Mark Loury

Fort Collins Facial Plastic Surgeon