Turbinate Pain Post-Rhinoplasty

I get severe throbbing pain inside left nostril (similar to tooth ache)when I'm out in the cold weather ever since my last nose surgery. The throbbing pain can last for many hours. I've had few turbinate procedures, the last surgeon removed anterior portions 1-2cm. I'm told i don't have much I.T.remaining on that side. Please, does anyone have suggestions what can done to alleviate this terrible pain???Even the pain clinic in my city doesn't know what to offer me.

Turbinate Pain Post Rhinoplasty

+1

You need to have an evaluation by an ENT physician who does a lot of sinus work. The pain may be secondary to a related sinus problem or the significant turbinate reduction.

Nasal pain

+1

If you had the majority of your inferior turbinate removed, you  may have waht is called empty nose syndrome where you can get pain from cold air.  You should see a sniue specialist to be evaluated.

Nasal pain after turbinate reduction

+1

It's hard to give specific treatment recommendations without an examination. However, if you say that you "don't have much" inferior turbinate left on that side you may have issues with what's called "empty nose syndrome".

The turbinates serve several purposes. One is to humidify and warm air when we inhale. They also serve to regulate nasal airflow. Over-reduction of the inferior turbinate can lead to drying and crusting and decreased ability to warm humidify inhaled air.

I would recommend visiting with an otolaryngologist (ENT) to get a better idea of what is going on and what can be done.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Post Rhinoplasty Turbinate Pain

+1

If you have not visited with a Otolaryngologist/ENT/Facial Plastic surgeon who specializes in nasal surgery I would recommend this. A complete examination of both sides of your nose is required and should include a view with an endoscope. You need to make certain that the lining has completely healed and there is no exposed bone.   After modification of the turbinates this is not a common issue that patients describe ( most describe increased nasal secretions). 

Christopher Tolan, MD
Saint Paul Facial Plastic Surgeon

Turbinate Pain Post-Rhinoplasty

+1

You need a scan of the sinuses. Than find an expert in sinus surgery. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Turbinate Pain Post-Rhinoplasty

+1

Regarding: "Turbinate Pain Post-Rhinoplasty
I get severe throbbing pain inside left nostril (similar to tooth ache)when I'm out in the cold weather ever since my last nose surgery. The throbbing pain can last for many hours. I've had few turbinate procedures, the last surgeon removed anterior portions 1-2cm. I'm told i don't have much I.T.remaining on that side. Please, does anyone have suggestions what can done to alleviate this terrible pain???Even the pain clinic in my city doesn't know what to offer me
."

The first thing you need is a proper diagnosis of the source of the pain. Obviously, your repeated turbinate surgeries (?reason) suggest it as the source but OTHER processes can cause pain in that area. You need to see a good Otolaryngologist (ENT) and have your sinuses examined with a MRI and if needed endoscopy. IF the reason for the pain is dryness and crusting of the nose owing to the near absence of the inferior turbinate, these may be hard to correct.

Dr. Peter Aldea