Turbinant Reduction 1 Week Ago; Have Congestion, When Will This Go Away?

I had turbinant reduction on the left and a septoplasty 6 days ago ...I am still very congested and stuffy ..when will I be able to get rid of this conjestion

Congestion after septoplasty and turbinate reduction

+1

There are a multitude of different techniques for reducing the size of the turbinates, but all of them result in some swelling and crusting to a degree.  After 3-4 weeks you should notice an improvement in your breathing as the swelling resolves.  Touch base with your surgeon, but typically nasal saline irrigations will help the process in the early period.  

Septoplasty and turbinate reduction

+1
It is common to have congestion after septoplasty and turbinates. It takes a few weeks to get better and each day after you should have more relief. Ask your surgeon about using a saline or steroidal nasal spray. These will reduce swelling and add some moisture to the inside of the nose. Have your nose cleaned properly by your surgeon and you are on the road to recovery. Best regards,

Michael Elam, MD

Relief Is On The Way After Your Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction

+1

Everyone is very congested ( many can't breathe at all through their nose) for the first week after surgery. Often there is some "debris" that needs to be removed after the first week that is blocking the airway. By 2 weeks most people are breathing fairly well. It may take several more weeks to get the point of great breathing. Be patient, you are well on your way to better breathing.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty, rhinoplasty, turbinate surgery

+1

Nasal physiology is a very complex process.  If you had work done on one side such a short time ago, the swelling will take some more time to go down. In addition there are times when you have to maintain the patency of the airway with some nasal steroid sprays.

There may be some crusting and some clots some times. So using salt water sprays can help. 

sometimes the other side can also get enlarged as a compensatory response, so your physician will have to look at that and also do some medical maintenance.

You may never have complete relief and have periodic congestion but over time it should improve.

SK

Shashidhar Kusuma, MD
Plantation Plastic Surgeon

Cogestio immediately after septoplasty

+1

Relax it should be clearing up as you read my answer. I tell patients 2 weeks to breath better. ^ weeks to breath great. Also there is dried blood and mucus which must be cleaned

Richard Ellenbogen, MD