Is there any reason why a upper blepharoplasty scar would not intentionally be in the lid crease? (photos)

2 weeks post upper blepharoplasty by experienced surgeon. I had on numerous occasions been assured that initially I would have a thin scar in natural lid crease and after a few months this will disappear and surgery would not be obvious to anyone. On this assurance i had the procedure done, however I'm left with an obvious scar to my right eye which is sticking out half way up the side of my eye and not in my natural lid crease and which cannot be hidden with Makeup.

Too early to judge

+2
Hi.  At only two weeks out, the incision is still healing, and you are still a bit swollen.  It looks like there's also a little bit of separation of the outer portion of your incision.  I'd suggest speaking to your surgeon about this.
Typically, it takes a good 2-3 months for everything to "settle down" after a blepharoplasty, and it's really much too early to tell at just 2 weeks.  Hang in there!

Blepharoplasty incison position

+2
Is there any reason why an upper blepharoplasty scar would not intentionally be in the lid crease? The patient reports being two weeks post upper blepharoplasty by an experienced surgeon. The photographs indicate a healing incision in the right upper eyelid which seems to have slightly separated laterally. There's considerable swelling in the eyelid itself. Two weeks is very early to make a judgment as to the final result. This may take 6 months to see. The patient should wait a few more weeks before returning to the original surgeon. Patient should be aware also that the upper eyelid incision may have to extend laterally in order to adequately excise the skin. While it is true that most upper eyelid incisions are placed in the crease, with the lateral extension they can be adjusted up or down. In this instance however the swelling makes it difficult to determine where the crease is relative to the incision.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Lid crease scar

+2
It's hard to tell from one picture but I think you will be fine.  The scar looks centrally to be in the crease or at least at an appropriate height above the lid margin for a natural crease.  The lateral scar looks like it opened a little so is wider.   This can occur and will almost always heal with little or no scar.  You are early in healing phase so give it time.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+2
It's too early to judge your results.  Your incision may be in a crease, but it will take time for the swelling to resolve and show this.  Patience is needed right now.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Upper blepharoplasty recovery

+2
At 2 weeks after upper blepharoplasty, it would still be much too early to judge the results of your surgery.  There is still significant healing to take place which will alter the way your eyes look now.  I would normally place the incision for upper blepharoplasty in the existing eyelid crease, but your incision may not appear to be in the crease until more healing has occurred.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper Blepharoplasty Crease Incision.

+1
If its only been a few weeks then I would not worry at this point.  Hopefully your incisions look fairly symmetric on both sides.  Eyelid crease positions vary between men and women (higher in women) and asians (lower) vs caucasians.  Sometimes the eyelid crease raises up as we get older if blepharoptosis (Drooping) of the eyelid is occurring.  I generally reset the eyelid crease lower in these situations to approximately 10 mm in most females at the center of the eyelid and about 9 mm in males.  Otherwise it can appear to high even after swelling has resolved.  Also some patients have multiple eyelid creases.  I would talk with your surgeon at your next followup, but at only 2 weeks I wouldn't needlessly worry.

John R. Burroughs, MD
Colorado Springs Oculoplastic Surgeon