Is This Too Much at Once: Tummy Tuck, Lipo of Hips and Partial Capsulectomy with New Implant Placement?

My plastic surgeon comes highly recommended, accredited facility, board certified annesthesiologist, and yet I find it hard to put my mind at ease. I am 5ft 110lbs, 4 kids (last were twins) I need a tt (ab wall is lax), hip lipo, and partial capsulectomy to remove my silicone implants with gr3 CC & new implants placed submus. My PS said tt may take up to 5 hrs and breast 2-4hrs. He does this length of surg. frequently but it scares me. Surgery is in 1 week!

Tummy Tuck, Lipo of Hips and Partial Capsulectomy with New Implant Placement?

+2

Depending upon the patient and the surgeon, this may or may not be too much to do at one setting. Most surgeons, myself included, follow a common suggestion to limit outpatient surgery to 6 hours or less. 

Without seeing photos, it is hard to guess why your TT should take 5 hours, nor why yoyu breast surgery could take up to 4 hours, but I would not plan a 7 to 9 hour procedure as an outpatient. 

Thanks for the question, best wishes.

Tummy Tuck, Re-Do Breast Aug & Lipo - Is This Too Much To Do At One Time?

+1

The tummy tuck is the keystone of a Mommy Makeover.  This combined with a re-do breast augmentation and hip liposuction makes up the standard Mommy Makeover.  Doing this all at one time should run about 6-7 hours, and in the hands of an experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon, Board Certified anesthesiologist, and a patient who is in good health and does not smoke should have low risk for complications. 

The way you wrote your question indicates you have done some very good research.  I would assume then that the plastic surgeon you have chosen is Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, has hospital privileges at a local hospital for all procedures in the Mommy Makeover, and that your surgery will be done either in a hospital or a certified surgery center.  With all of the above in place, I believe the surgeries you are seeking should be both safe and aesthetically rewarding.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

The amount of surgery that can be safely combined depends on the surgeon

+1

Hi there-

As is the case with so many other questions that come up about plastic surgery and what may or may not be in your best interests, the answer to this question will almost completely depend on who you choose to do your surgery. Why? Well, consider these important facts:

Plastic surgeons are not unlike other professionals or skilled tradespeople... We get efficient at things we do often. So, while I would never advise you to look for a surgeon that can do your surgery rapidly (after all, the end all and be all of any plastic surgery procedure should be the outcome and your safety), it is generally true that surgeons with a great deal of experience in a procedure are more efficient in its performance than more inexperienced surgeons.

For better or worse, and sometimes for reasons that are difficult to understand, some surgeons just move more slowly than others. This is often independent of the quality of their work.

There can be no doubt that the risks of surgery increase significantly after the 6th hour... 

So- if you are confident that you have chosen the best surgeon you can- someone you like, feel you can trust, and who will keep you safe and place your interests above his own (if it comes to that), and someone whose work shows the artistic talent and skill you want for yourself, and it just so happens that the operation you want, when done by him, will take longer than 6 hours, then I would say that's too much, unless you are being admitted at the end of surgery. I never believe in taking unnecessary risk in plastic surgery.

If your surgeon can complete those procedures in less than 6 hours, then the risk should be acceptably low.

So in the end, if you're confident you've chosen the best surgeon you can, it comes down to this- if the surgery can be done in less than 6 hours by that surgeon you should be okay. If not, your choices are to either spend the night, or to separate the procedures. Keep in mind however that even if spending the night, your risks will be higher the longer the operation is over 6 hours.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Combined procedures are safe

+1

Multiple procedures can be safely performed in one setting. But it depends on your health status (past medical history), your anatomy, and the amount of surgery/type of procedures to be done. There may be a bit of a misunderstanding as tummy tucks usually take 2-4 hours to complete (depending on what exactly is being done).Please confirm that your plastic surgeon is board certified plastic surgeon specifically by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  It sounds like you've done your homework and I'm sure you'll love your results! 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy makeover - how much is too much

+1

If you are going to a board certified plastic surgeon and he or she has a team that  is experienced with these operations then you need to talk this over with your doctor and make sure you are comfortable.  Our cut off for outpatient surgery (meaning you don't have to spend the night in the hospital or in a recovery suite) is 6 hours.  I personally don't like to combine too many operations if I'm dealing with capsular contractures and replacing the implants.  Separating the two operations may be a little more expensive however focusing on the outcome of the breast implants may be cost effective in the long run.   

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

Mommy make over

+1

tummy tuck and liposuction in one surgery and next surgery deals with the breast. Breast capsulectomy and change position of implant needs care and good planing and execution to get very good result. Surgeons should never work against time. the aim is to get the best results possible.

+1

Is it possible you misunderstood him? I think he probably meant 2 hours for the breast surgery or 5 hours for everything together. A tummy tuck and liposuction of the hips does not take 5 hours. We do not do elective cosmetic procedures beyond 5 hours total for safety reasons.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Too much surgery

+1

I would agree that a 9 hour outpatient operation would not be advisable.  Often, patients will need several procedures that take too long to do at once (longer than 6 or 7 hrs)...we find that they will recover much faster with fewer complications, if the procedures are divided up into two sittings that each takes 3 to 4 hrs.  Though the overall cost may be more than doing it all at once, safety is more important so you can enjoy the results of your investment. 

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon