I Had Tummy Tuck, is It Possible to Tear Internal Permanent Sutures Holding the Rectus Abdominal Muscles Together?

It is possible to tear internal permanent sutures, usually shortly after surgery

+2

Sutures holding the rectus muscles together can either tear, or tear through the repair.  For that reason after a tummy tuck patients must wear an abdominal binder help support the repair while it heals.  After about 6 weeks the repair is stable enough to withstand simple stress.  I ask my patients to wear the binder for 3 months during physical activity (for 6 weeks at all times)

It is difficult to tear internal sutures after tummy tuck

+2

Sutures used in correction of the diastasis or rectus muscle separation are strong, and in our practice permanent. It is very difficult to tear the sutures without significant discomfort, and after several weeks of healing should be quite strong, strong enough for exercise.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Disruption of Sutures used for Abdominal Wall Muscle Plication?

+2

Although it is possible to disrupt the sutures used to plicate the abdominal wall muscles during tummy tuck surgery, this complication is unusual and generally requires significant force/pressure. Generally, if this does occur, it becomes obvious on physical examination. If you have concerns about your situation, I would suggest follow-up with your plastic surgeon for precise advice/support/recommendations.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm