Can I Have a Tummy Tuck, if my Weight is 230lbs?

Tummy tucks and overweight patients

+2

Whether or not it is a good idea for a women who weighs 230 lbs. to have a tummy tuck depends more on the BMI than the actual weight.  A patient's BMI or body mass index takes into account the height and weight and gives us an idea who is overweight, obese or morbidly obese.  Any BMI greater than 30 is considered obese.  For a patient who weighs 230 lbs to not be considered obese, she would need to be at least 6'2" tall.  Typically tummy tucks and obese people don't mix well.  Obese patients tend to have more complcations and less pleasing results.  It is usually better to lose weight first, then proceed with a tummy tuck once a more ideal weight has been obtained.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Body mass index is important in terms of the chances in complications

+1

More important than your overall weight is your body mass index (BMI) and overall health.  A 30 year old woman that is 6ft tall and physically active that weighs 230lbs is considerable less at risk for complications following tummy tuck than a woman that is 5 ft tall and relatively inactive with low muscle mass.  Studies have shown that as the BMI goes from 25 to 30 to 35 and higher the complacation rate for body contouring such as tummy tuck procedure and body lift procedures increases.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy Tuck at 230 Pounds?

+1

Yes, a tummy tuck can be performed at your weight  assuming you are otherwise in good health  and the procedure is done by the appropriately trained/experienced professionals in the appropriate facility.  A preoperative medical evaluation by your internist will be helpful.

However, this is not the ideal situation when it comes to the safety of your surgery and/or the end results of the procedure.

I would suggest that you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and ask  for  appropriate referrals ( for example nutritionists or personal trainers)  to help you reach a longer term “stable weight”.