Tummy Tuck,face Lift, Back Lipo in Costa Rica

I am planning to travel to Costa Rica for a tummy tuck,face lift, back lipo. I cannot afford the US price, but am desperate for a younger look, have you heard of or recommend Dr. Rodrigo Araya, CIMA. Pls relay feedback.

Tummy tuck

+3

I'm going to keep this simple: don't do it.  Surgery in another country is always a bad idea.  Sure, you might "luck out," and ebverything may go well.  But what if it doesn't?  What if you have a major problem during surgery?  What if you have a minor problem afterwards?  What if you just have a question druing normal healing and your surgeon is 3000 miles away?  I've seen too many patients come to me after surgery outside this country with problems.  It's simply not worth the risk.

Reston Plastic Surgeon

Medical Tourism: do your homework

+3

Can you afford a complication that may keep you there for several weeks? I would suggest you do a search on medical tourism. I did this for you. Please read from realself (link pasted below):

"Hello Kelowna! I'm originally from Vancouver.. I had an eye/neck/face lift done in Costa Rica almost 3 months ago. Am fairly happy with results... but I am so very sorry to hear about your problems there. While I was recouperating at a ranch in CRica, I met 3 women who had breast augmentation and they have all had severe problems, one just had her breast removed. One of the others is on a machine to fight infection and hoping the gaping hole heals up. The other one is considering going back to her surgeon to have the problems solved. (these 2 women used Dr. Araya) I"m not attempting to blacklist anyone since it wasn't me having the surgery, but some of the docs and recovery places need to be more attentive to their patients problems before their return to the US. Have you found anyone who can help you out in either Canada or the US? I'm attempting to find someone who will take on these women at a greatly reduced cost as we write. Charlene

Desperation will cost you

+3

This is a foolish idea and you are being impatient.  For sure, you can save the money and find a reasonable US plastic surgeon (maybe a young one) who will do much better for you that whoever in Costa Rica. You are being very shortsited and you are playing with fire with your health and life!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Not a good idea

+2

If you can not able to afford a aboard certified plastic surgeon to do your surgery,you better off to go to a training program in US. The doctors in training will provide you a good care . The problem with over sea surgery is the anesthesia and after care. Please do not look at price only ..

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+2

Have you read the previous posters comments? I totally agree! In fact I just saw a younger female patient from DR surgery. She had a full TT + lipo and was told to fly back to USA after ONLY 4 days recovery. Drains still in, no pain RX. She arrived at Miami International airport, feverish, draining large amounts of serosanginous fluids, in pain, and crying with her in laws. She was taken to ER at local hospital where after 10 calls to junior staff PS I was called, as a senior staff PS, for care.. I admitted her to hospital obtained ID consult, heme consult, pulmonary consult. She was anemic, infected, etc. Her hospital bill was over $10K and my fee was $1K. She paid $6K to this medical Tourism company. I ask you was it worth it? From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Be careful about surgery abroad

+1

I have not heard your surgeon's name.  More importantly that is a lot of surgery to do at one time.  I have seen several patients present to our local ERs with serious infections from surgery abroad and a few had to have surgery to correct the problem.  Overall the cost ended being much more and besides there is no price to high for safety and peace of mind. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Cometic Tourism

+1

That is way too much at once for one surgical trip.  It is a third world country.  Why should we hear of that doctor?

Go down, and make these plans.  Either elaborate funeral arrangements, because after all you will look youthful, and you will have saved enough money.

Or, establish a working relationship with a US plastic surgeon to care for the complications/post op care.  Hopefully, it won't be that bad.

Caveat Emptor.

You get what you pay for

You can make more money, you can't make another you.

Enough said.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Cost of tummy tuck

+1

Frequently people leave the country to obtain cheaper surgical services.  The quality of the surgeon is only on consideration for your tummy tuck.  Abdominoplasty is a complex operation and followup care is extensive and long term.  Liability issues can be very tricky if you should have a serious complication.  Sometimes penny wise is pound foolish.

Talmage J. Raine, MD

International Surgery Can Be Risky

+1

There are reasons why procedures are less costly in other countries.  There are fewer controls over qualifications, facilities, etc..  Even if you find a well-qualified practioner, there is always a chance for complications.  If you do suffer a complication, it will be difficult to find a surgeon in the US willing to take over your care.  Remember that "you get what you pay for".

John Whitt, MD

Medical tourism

+1

No, I have not heard of this surgeon.  Be careful, because having surgery in one location and then going home can be tough.  Also, if you have complications, who will take care of you and will appreciate exactly what was done in surgery.