Tummy-tuck, Breast Agumentation and Hestorectomy at Once?

I am a 30 year old mother with 3 children. I am in good health and want to know if its possible to have a tummy-tuck, breast agumentation and hestorectomy at once? I am 52kg and 1.68m. My operation is scheduled for the 25th Nov 2011 and my doctors think its save?

Combination surgeries can be safe.

+2

Combining three surgeries at one time can be safe but I would recommend that you have a thorough evaluation by your primary physicians to be sure you are in excellent health. Be sure your doctors discuss whether they believe you will require autologous blood transfusion(s). Besure you exercise at least 1 hour every day before your surgery so that you are really able to get up and move around as soon as your doctors allow you to get out of bed.

Plastic surgery with ob/gyn procedures

+2

Combining plastic surgery procedures with ob/gyn procedures such as abdominoplasty with breast augmentation and hysterectomy can be done safely together as long as you are healthy. Depending on how the hysterectomy is performed, you may have a higher risk of infection or deep venous thrombosis. Thus, your surgeon should take appropriate precautions to decrease these risks as much as possible and you will need to do your part by walking frequently and drinking lots of fluids after surgery and avoiding smoking or smokey environments before and after surgery.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Should be safe

+2

Seeing that you state you are in good health, and as long as you are not severely anemic, I believe it is safe for you to procee with combined procedure.  Good luck

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

The Ultimate Mommy Makeover

+2

Doing breast and abdominal reshaping with a hysterectomy procedure is not a rare combination of procedures and is perfectly safe...provided you are healthy and have no significant medical risk factors. Tummy tucks and hysterectomies are very commonly done together as it provides convenient access for the GYN surgeon and provides solutions to two problems in essentially one operation. Adding a breast augmentation to this combined abdominal procedure does not add significant operative time, risks, or recovery. This would be the ultimate 'Mommy Makeover', correcting all issues that are associated with one's pregnancies.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Hysterectomy and tummy tuck and breast surgery

+2

If the hysterectomy is for non-cancerour reasons and it is a straightforward simple procedure, then it is certainly possible to do them together  if you are healthy as well.

Breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and hysterectomy.

+2

As you have seen by the answers, this is a very controversial topic.  I would recommend that you discuss these issues with your surgeons -- both your plastic surgeon and your gyn surgeon.  The risks are definitely increased by combining all three procedures; but they can still be performed safely at the same time, under the right circumstances.  The deciding factors include your general health, the complexity of the surgeries, and the comfort levels of your surgeons and yourself.  The main advantage of combining all procedures is that it means only one anesthetic for you and you can recover from all of the procedures at the same time.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

I think it's safe

+2

I have done it all at the same time. But --- first they do the hysterectomy and I only did the cosmetic part if that surgery went very smoothly and the patient was fine.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation, and Hysterectomy at same surgical setting

+2

Yes, I often operate with a ObGyn and perform a tummy tuck while ObGyn is performing a hysterectomy.  The patients are very pleased with the result.  Recuperation may be a slight bit longer than if either procedure were performed alone, but not significantly.  Breast augmentation is commonly performed with a tummy tuck as part of a plastic surgery marketing package called "Mommy Makeover."  This is a term I actually do not like as it makes women seem like idiotic Barbie dolls or Stepford wives, but that is just my opinion.

It is very safe to perform these procedures together as long as you are in good health.  You are also able to recover from three procedures at the same time, which is very convenient for a woman who is busy with three children and a job either at home or out of the home.

Make sure you have someone at home to take care of your children while you recuperate, as well as a person devoted to taking care of you the first few days after surgery.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining tummy tuck with hysterectomy

+1

Yes, it is possible to combine all of those procedures, but that may not be the safest approach.  There may be an increased chance of complications when all of those procedures are combined into one surgery, so why take the chance?  Cosmetic surgery is always elective, so I prefer to take the safest approach.  I advise my patients to have the hysterectomy, allow your body to heal for at least 6 weeks, and then proceed with the tummy tuck and breast surgery. 

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Combining tummy tuck, hysterectomy, and breast augmentation

+1

Each of these procedures is separately safe.

When considering combining all three the risks do slightly go up. Discuss this carefully with your doctors.

You will have a slightly increased risk of developing clots in your legs (deep venous thrombosis = DVT) which can place you at risk for a clot breaking free and traveling to your lungs, PE = pulmonary embolus. This can be fatal!

When considering undergoing all three, make sure that your doctors/surgeon have you on a specific regimen to prevent the development of DVT. With careful monitoring and prevention it can be safe but you should know the risks going into it before surgery so that you can make the best decision for you.

Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS