Age 22, 1 child and 70lbs post-baby weight loss: Do I Need a Tummy Tuck?

Hi. I'm 22 and I had my son 2 years ago but my tummy still looks a little weird. I gained 70 pounds with him but I lost all of the weight in about 3 months. I haven't been working out so I was wondering if I could lose the belly with great diet and exercise or will I need a tummy tuck. I would love to hear of any other procedures other than surgery as well, if possible. I hear that stretch marks and fat under the skin doesn't help much, and I have quite a few of both. Thanks.

Tummy tuck after pregnancy and childbirth

+2

pregnancy affects the abdominal integrity far more than just weight gain. Pregnancy caused stretching of the abdominal muscles which remain loose after childbirth and weight loss. Therefore, depending on how much loose skin folds you might have, you might be a candidate for a tummy tuck.

Do I Need a Tummy Tuck?

+1

This determination can only be made during a consultation based on an in-person examination. Online advice could be given were there some more info, in particular photos. 

Since you have lost all the weight you have gained and still seem to have excess skin, the only solution will probably be a tummy tuck. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Do I need a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Looking at your photos it appears that you need a TT. Nothing short of a TT will help correct the sagging. But you are young and ideally you like to do a Tummy tuck onpatients who have completed their pregnancies. You should seedk consultation with a Board Ceritfied PS. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Precise  advice would require in-person consultation;  at least viewing pictures would be helpful.

Generally speaking,  the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the procedure as well as the significant physical/emotional recovery time associated with the procedure as well.

Do you need a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for your question.  It is impossible to determine your surgical need without photos and an exam.  If you are planning on having more children, you should wait on the Tummy Tuck.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD