5ft1, 129lbs, recently lost 50lbs of baby weight: Do I Need a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I gained a pretty significant amount of weight with my pregnancy (50 pounds). I have lost all the baby weight and am continuing to lose weight. I have seen a huge improvement; however, my stomach bothers me. I simply want to know if the look I want can be achieved with continuing my diet and exercise regimen or if the skin is too far gone. I am 5'1" at 129 lbs.

Tummy tuck after diet and exercise do what they can

+2

You are smart to do what you can with diet and exercise, but you are noticing that they will not tone loose skin after pregnancy or reduce fat that localizes to the abdomen out of proportion to the rest of the body. Another factor that sometimes needs to be considered is a muscle separation (called a diastasis) that is common after pregnancy and also not correctable with exercise. A tummy tuck addresses those 3 issues.

Need a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Congrat's on your weight loss! Continue your diet and exercise problem, but if you still are unhappy with your tummy, then a tummy would help. Liposuction or a mini tummy tuck would not be a good option.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

A tummy tuck is likely a great solution for you

+2

While impossible to give you direct advise without an exam it appears that you have lax muscles and stretched out skin.  An abdominoplasty addresses loose skin, lax muscles, and mild excess fat.  It does not appear that liposuction would work because loose skin does not respond well to liposuciton.  I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam and consultation.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Loose Skin

+1

While continued diet and exercise will help with fat loss and muscular tone, the skin will need to be addressed with a tummy tuck.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Do I Need a Tummy Tuck? (

+1

With the amount of overhang and bulge I see on the photos, I suspect that you would have a nice improvement with a tummy tuck beyond what you can accomplish with diet and exercise. 

The TT will allow your surgeon to remove excess skin and to tighten the abdominal wall, correcting both issues. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Do I Need a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

+1

I think you do...Your skin looks to be a bit stretched out and even more weight loss will probably make it a bit more loose! But congratulations on the weight loss and I do think you will get a great result with a TT

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Congratulations on your successful weight loss; unfortunately,  despite your successful diet and exercise program, it is very likely that you will be left with residual loose skin and abdominal wall laxity after pregnancy and weight loss.  If these concerns are still a “bother” you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

This operation serves to remove the “excess” skin ( majority of stretch marks for most patients)  and reapproximate the abdominal wall muscles that have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss.

The “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable,  has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her,  is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. Learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the procedure as well as the significant physical/emotional recovery time associated with the procedure as well.

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction vs. Diet

+1

First of all congratulation in your weight loss achievements.   Since it can be such a challenge it is truly an accomplishment.  Liposuction only deals with excess localized fat, whereas if you are interested in having the smallest and tightest belly, abdominoplasty addresses not only the fat but also the excess skin and looseness of the muscle (if indicated, for example after pregnancy).  However, if you are still loosing weight, continue with your efforts until you have plateaued, at which point have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete discussion on your goals, a thorough physical exam, and recommendation and options to address your desires.

Robert Morgan Davoudi, MD

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

You are doing very well with your diet. Keep up the good work.You may want to weigh having another child before a tummy tuck as well. In the past, I have recommended the tummy tuck when a patient is done with child bearing.Consult a board certified surgeon for an exam, and then decide. Good luck..Thomas Narsete, M.D. austin, Tx 

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a tummy tuck?

+1

Hi Kay,

Thank you for your question and photos.

By the look of your photos, you definitely have lax skin and muscles.  Diet and exersice, while important for fitness and losing weight or keep your weight current, will not improve this.  You will probably actually see your skin laxity get worse as you lose weight.  Don't be disheartened, though, because a tummy tuck will give you a great looking belly.  I would get to whatever your goal weight is first, identify if you our happy or would like an improvement, then visit experienced board certified plastic surgeons to discuss options.  Look through there portfolio and discuss your preferences.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon