Tummy Tuck Dog Ears 9 Weeks Post Op? (photo)

Please could you look at my photo and see if I have dog ears or will the sides go down are they just swollen I am now 9 weeks post tummy tuck and muscle repair and lipo to the flanks

Dog ears and tummy tucks

Dear Marie

I think you have a very nice shape from your tummy tuck at this early post-operative stage.

You do have some fullness that you demonstrate in the pictures at the outer aspects of your main scar, but with the extend of the operation you have had and the additional liposuction it is too early to determine whether this is temporary or not. 

You do not have dog ears (puckerings of the skin that create points or cones of skin at the end of scars).

Good luck - it may be a good idea to continue to wear your garment for a while more to put some pressure on these areas

Dog Ears after Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for the question and pictures. The areas you are concerned about are demonstrated nicely. You certainly have some “fulness” along the lateral aspects of the tummy tuck incision line.  Although it is too early to precisely predict the outcome of the procedure performed, I would not be surprised if you will want to treat these areas ( with additional skin excision)  down the line. Generally speaking, best to wait approximately one year to evaluate the end results of the procedure performed.

Dog ears 9 months post op

Hello. It is still early and the appearance if your tummy tuck will improve for a full year post op. For nine weeks your results are looking fine. If after a full year you are still unhappy with the appearance of your results liposuction can be done to remove any fat deposits that you are still unhappy with.

Jaime Perez, MD
Tummy Tuck Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Tummy Tuck Dog Ears 9 Weeks Post Op?

The posted photos have a similar color background so hard to see if truly a dog ear issue. Appears as if either you or your surgeon requested a shorter scar/incision. Revision at 6 months is indicated if still unhappy. 

Dog Ears or Excess Swelling

These are not typical "dog ears".  Your fullness extends longer than a typical dog ear and is probably residual post-op swelling.  You should wait at least six months and preferably a year before deciding if a revision will be needed.

Martin O'Toole, MD

Tummy tuck

Although you have fullness on the sides, these are not "dog ears". The fullnes will get better with time, but is due to the nature of the operation and swelling. It will take 6 months before you can judge it properly.

Tummy tuck dogears

Nine weeks postop is way to early to reach any conclusion as to whether revision of the dogears will be required.  Sometimes these areas heal down very nicely and sometimes they don't.  After seeing the lateral view, I can understand why your doctor did not extend the incision in order to keep the "ink" intact. Give it time and keep the lines of communication open with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

You appear to have dog ears

Nine weeks is too early to determine if something else is needed.  More skin removal and/or liposuction are possibly needed to treat this area, but wait 6 to 12 months. 

Wait before treating tummy tuck "dog ears"

One of the reasons why tummy tucks sometimes have fullness over the outer part of the scar is because it lies directly over the prominence of the hip bone there, so it may not always be a matter of inadequate skin removal. The trade-off may be a longer scar if it is to be minimized, but in any case it is wise to wait at least several months before deciding if it needs a touch-up.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck Dog Ears 9 Weeks Post Op

The fullness at the ends of the TT incision may or may not be swelling, and only time will tell. If these were worse a month ago than they are now, that does suggest  swelling. 

Once all resolves, if this persists, the best fix would be extending the incisions further along toward  your back.

Thank you for your question and for the photos posted. All the best.