Tummy Tuck For Significant Loose Skin Following Weight Loss and Pregnancy?

I have significant loose skin on my flower abdomen following weight loss and pregnancy. I also have excess skin and stretch marks on my hips. I do not want a circumferal body lift. Is it possible to get a tummy tuck with that is extended to the hips which does not go all the way around the body ?

Tummy Tuck Options

+1

Thank you for you question.    It is difficult to give accurate recommendation without an in office exam.  When I evaluate the abdomen, I assess:
1.  The amount of loose skin

2.  The volume of fatty tissue
3.  The degree of muscle laxity.

I evaluate this in each of 3 areas:
1.  Upper Abdomen

2.  Area around the Belly Button
3.  Lower Abdomen

MINI TUMMY TUCK: If a patient has loose skin, fatty tissue, and muscle laxity limited to the Lower Abdomen, then I recommend the mini tummy tuck.  In order to qualify for this, the patient must have good skin and muscle tone in their upper abdomen and area around the belly button.   I will frequently perform liposuction of these areas with my Mini Tummy Tuck to enhance the overall contour.

FULL TUMMY TUCK:  this is for patients who have loose skin and muscle laxity of the upper abdomen, belly button area, and lower abdomen.   This procedure tightens all 3 areas with a bikini line incision.   I often encorporate liposuction with my full tummy tuck as I feel it offers a superb end result.
EXTENDED TUMMY TUCK:  This works well for patients who have loose skin that extends over the hip bone into the flank area.   I will perform extensive liposuction and skin excision to the hip and flank area combined with full tummy tuck.

BODY LIFT/BELT LIPECTOMY:  this is essentially a 360 degree tummy tuck which involves removal of loose skin and fatty tissue of the lower back and buttocks, in addition to the extended tummy tuck.
I wish you a safe recovery and amazing result!!

Dr. Gill

Extended Tummy Tuck following loose skin and pregnancy

+1

Dear Kristan - the answer to your question is absolutely, but it will most likely not get all the stretch marks on your hips.  

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes you can extend the incision around your hips to remove the skin with the stretch marks without doing a body lift.  The key is to tell your PS exactly which skin you want removed and they will tell you how long the incision has to  be.  

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck for Loose Skin

+1

If one has circumferential redundant skin from massive weight loss or from significant aging then you may be a candidate for a circumferential bodylift. In most instances, if it is not massive weight loss and you have skin redundancy primarily in the lower abdomen then it is an abdominoplasty incision.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Extended Tummy Tuck

+1

An extended tummy tuck can always be performed in which the scar is extended posteriorly to remove loose skin that continues onto the sides.

Tummy Tuck vs. Circumferential Dermolipectomy

+1

Hi Kristan,

Limiting a tummy tuck to a hip-wide incision is a very reasonable option, although it may limit how much skin can be removed.  It would be helpful to know why you want to limit the incision- scar aversion, cost, safety are among the reasons to favour a shorter scar.  Be sure to review this issue thoroughly when you meet with your surgeon.

Michael Kreidstein, MD

Can I have an extended tummy tuck to include the hips?

+1

Looseness of skin following weight loss and pregnancy is almost a certainty. As to what kind of surgery(ies) you will need depends on the extent of looseness of skin. You need to be examined and have your desires and expectations discussed. You shoud consult with a Board Certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD

Extended tummy tuck

+1

Yes, depending on your anatomy and amount of loose skin, an extended tummy tuck may be good for you.  You really need to post pictures or be seen in person to know for sure if you are a good candidate.  Also, some patients choose separate a body lift into two components by doing the front (tummy tuck) first and the back at a later date.  It is best to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

The more skin to be removed the longer the incision required.

+1

The amount of redundant skin on the abdominal wall determines the length of the incision. Patients with massive weight loss often have so much redundant skin that a circumferential incision is required and possibly a vertical one as well. This will be determined by your surgeon.

Incision length for tummy tuck

+1

There is no straight forward answer to your question without an examination.  Typically the incision for the tummy tuck is hip to hip.  However, the surgeon contours and blends the remaining tissue.  If you have a lot of excess skin on your hip area, the standard incision length may not be enough.  A visit to a Board Certified plastic surgeon will allow for a personal evaluation.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon