Tummy Tuck Candidate? Huge Scar From C-Section at 19, Now Age 49.

I am 49 5'4 129 lbs -when I was about 19 I had a emergency c section & they had to leave it open due to a staff infection. It took about 6 months for it to completely heal and it left me with a huge scar & my stomach is bigger on one side. But my question is could I get a mini tummy tuck without having to risk going thru what I did before & also am I too old to even think about this?

C-section scars and tummy tucks

+1

are done frequently and often allow removal of the old c-section scar.  Your doctor should help guide you through the different options available to you which could range from a mini-tuck to a full tuck.  If you have extreme laxity of your muscle wall, the possibility of a hernia would have to be considered.  Hopefully your meeting with your doctor will produce options that will manage all of your concerns.

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

Patient's that have had children frequently have redundant skin in their abdomen, loss of tenacity as well as diastisis recti.  The fact that the patient is 49 years of age, seeks improvement of her abdominal C-section scar is understandable.  Sometimes these C-section scars can be addressed with some revision of the scar and some contouring and liposuction if there is not a great deal of abdominal laxity.  Most cases, however, abdominal laxity C-section scar can be removed by an abdominoplasty, whether the C-section scar is vertical from the umbilicus to the pubis or horizontal.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

In order to give you the right recommendation a picture will be very helpful. However, I try my best to answer your questions. Your age is fine. As long as your internist clears you for surgery you can have the surgery. As far as the mini tummy tuck, it is indicated only for a small bulge at the lower abdomen. If your skin and muscles are loose, than a full tummy tuck is indicated. In regard to the scar, you should have a nice scar as long as you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Web reference: http://widderplasticsurgery.com

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck at 49?

+1

49 is not to old! in fact, I have many patients that have had tummy tucks that are much older, all the way into their 70's. I would encourage you to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon and see if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck either full or mini and see what your risks are, thanks for the question and good luck!

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck at 49

+1

First, you are not too old to consider a tummy tuck to correct the problems you describe. If your health is good, then remember, 49 is not what it used to be and you have many years to enjoy, so go for it!

Second, without either an examination or detailed photos, it is impossible to tell you if you are a candidate for a mini-tummy tuck or need a full tummy tuck.  Most likely, the issues you are concerned with can be addressed by a tummy tuck and there is no reason if you are unhappy with the issues left behind from your C-section that you cannot achieve the goal you desire.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you plan the right course of treatment for you.  Best of luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck with c-section scar

+1

Most likely you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure and it would help you immensely.  Also it is likely that a mini-tummy tuck will not make you look your best.  Without a photo or examination it will be hard to say for sure, but it is definitely worth a consultation.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck after C section

+1
Without a photo, I can only comment in general terms but, if you had a c-section with secondary wound healing, in all likelihood, a mini tuck will not be the appropriate operation. You are certainly not too old and so long as you are in good health, I do not see a problem. If abdominoplasty terrifies you, see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss a long overdue scar revision and correction of the asymmetry.

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

You have raised two good questions:

1)  Your health is much more important than your age.  If you are in reasonably good health, have relatively stable weight and don't smoke you are likely an acceptable candidate for a tummy tuck.

2)  It is impossible to tell you what type of procedure you should have without an exam, photos and a discussion of your goals and concerns.  In general, there are limited indications for a mini tummy tuck.  Essentially, the area above the umbilicus must have a good contour without significant muscle looseness and the skin should be relatively tight.  If you have changes in the upper abdomen that you are unhappy with or if you want to remove a large area of damaged skin from below the umbilicus then a standard tummy tuck is indicated.  Its worth having a longer incision to accomplish this provided it is positioned properly.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

It is not possible to give you accurate advice without direct examination or viewing pictures.

However, I can make some generalizations. Assuming you're in good health and medically/psychologically stable, your age is not a contraindication to the procedure.

In regards to the mini tummy tuck operation, a few words of caution for patients contemplating tummy tuck surgery may be in order:  In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm