Wil Insurance Cover A Tummy Tuck if My Previous 3 C-Sections Resulted in Back Pain? (photo)

I am a 32 year old female that has had 5 kids all by c-section (4 c-sections my last 2 are twins) and I'm in desperate need of an extended tummy tuck and breast lift but can't affrord to pay 20,000 for it. I have so much back pain because of the seperation of my ab muscles and I have good insurance but I can't find a Dr that will try to get it covered. I live in WV

Wil Insurance Cover A Tummy Tuck if My Previous 3 C-Sections Resulted in Back Pain?

+2

That is because it would be a waste of the doctor/staffs time to send a letter of predetermination if there is almost no chance to obtain coverage. Maybe if you offer to pay for this letter and the docs time you might be able to find a PS to send one. Usual fees are $500. Otherwise save up to have these "cosmetic" operations. Regards 

Back pain from c-sections will insurance cover

+1

I am sorry to hear about your back issues.  The question of whether or not abdominoplasty impacts core strength and stability has never been documented in the eyes of the insurance companies.  Any type of claim that tries to link back pain with abdominoplasty is automatically rejected.  You can check with your insurance company to see if they cover abdominoplasty for back pain via the patient representative.  If they say yes, ask them to send you the document.  You can then find a plastic surgeon in your network and give them said document.  Unfortunately, I doubt that any insurance would cover this.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Insurance covering Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

It is unlikely that insurance will cover any form of tummy tuck surgery.  I suggest that you gradually save over time and have the procedure performed with a well experienced plastic surgeon when the time is right for you.

Best Wishes.

Insurance and tummy tuck

+1

Insurances do not pay for cosmetic procedure including tummy tucks and breast lifts.  You can shop around to board certified plastic surgeons for pricing and then save the money you need and proceed.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Let's be real

+1

A tummy tuck is cosmetic. You want it you pay for it. Also that photo of you, it looks like you are quite a bit overweight. Get  your weight down first. Tummy tucks are for thin people with a lot of extra skin. In NY we do them ambulatory and they cost  more like 10K not 20K. Good Luck.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Will insurance cover a Tummy Tuck

+1

Unfortunately no. No chance of insurance covering a tummy tuck, but recent studies have shown that plication or suturing of the abdominal muscles after childbirth does decrease back pain. But unfortunately insurance companies do not recognize this.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for tummy tuck is unlikely

+1

Tummy tuck and breast lift are both wonderful procedures after children, however insurance just does not cover procedures they deem not of medical necessary. Back pain is caused by so many issues, and separation of abdominal muscles (diastasis) is not really one of them, so you should have your back evaluated by your GP.

Insurance coverage for tummy tuck

+1
Unfortunately, the treatment for back pain would logically be orthopedic or physical therapy, not plastic surgery. Separation of the musculature would not produce back pain and an insurance company would view your contention with great skepticism.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy Tuck considered cosmetic surgery

+1

Insurance companies consider tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) a cosmetic procedure therefor they do not provide insurance benefits.  It would be well worth your while to save your money and have the procedure;  most women in my practice comment on how much better their backs feel once the muscles are tightened during their abdominoplasty.

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for tummy tuck

+1

This is very unlikely.  It is also not clear how excess skin or fat on the abdomen could cause your back pain.

David A. Lickstein, MD