Considering Getting Tummy Tuck at Post-Grad Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship Program in NYC, Is this the Right Route?

I am a 50yr old female considering a Tummy Tuck after 2 c-sections in my 20's my skin below my belly button is sagging. I am in fairly good health,(not on current meds except vitamins) In order not to be in debt at my age, I am considering doing my surgery at a post gradudate cosmetic surgery fellowship pgrm in NYC because it's affordable. However,I am not really sure if this is the route to go. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tummy tuck at a training program

+4

Before having the procedure in a teaching hospital, I would recommend that you verify that the price is, indeed, lower than that which would be charged by a board certified plastic surgeon in private practice as the training programs and hospitals have changed their fee structures over the years.  You may find that surgery in a private practice is more affordable than you think and this would alleviate the concern about being operated on by a physician in training.  I see patients who have had surgery with the residents and my big concern is always that, if there is a complication, their doctor has graduated, moved away and there is no continuity of care.  This is certainly a factor to consider. 

Affordable tummy tuck at Post-Grad Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship?

+3

I recommend you get more than two opinions before making your final decision and make sure you know all or your charges up front.  Also, read the fine print carefully. Many discounted offers to not provide you any recourse if you need a touch up or a revision.  You would have to pay full price for any additional work. Also, make sure that it is a fellowship supervised and sponsored by board-certified plastic surgeons, not doctors claiming to be but are not.  It is definitely worth looking into though. Good Luck!

Tummy tuck at an affordable cost.

+3

In NYC there are a few affordable programs for cosmetic surgery performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, I believe New York Eye and Ear Infirmary has that program. Worth looking into.

Best of Luck!

Web reference: http://www.drkhuthaila.com

TT at University Setting

+3

We all had to perform our first tummy tuck and when we did we were helped and taught by a professor. Also remember that the fellowship surgeons are already Surgeons, not medical students. You should be in good hands.

Who to use for a tommy tuck in New Jersey or New york?

+3

I am assuming that the fellowship program is a legitimate program that follows a approved plastic surgery residency program. I that's the case then you know that at the fellows are have completed their plastic surgery residency and are board eligible in plastic surgery. You also know that the fellows are trained plastic surgeons but not experienced. I think it all depends on the talent of the individual fellows. There are surgeon s who no matter how much training they get they will never be great. This is a matter of talent. Not every person who goes and completes an art school becomes a great artist. I assume that this arrangement is a lot less expensive or may be you are not even paying the surgical fees, in which case it might be a compromise. Be careful and ask questions, so that you can at least get a good feeling that the fellow is good.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck in fellowship program

+2

There are advantages and disadvantages. The surgeon is in training, and therefore has limited experience compared to a surgeon that has performed the procedure for many years for example. There is an attending surgeon involved, but the amount of involvement differs.

The different programs charge different amounts as well. You want it performed once, not a correction procedure due to inexperience of the operator. You may also want to look outside of the metropolitan area as prices are less as well.

Good luck with your decision.

Web reference: http://www.drrickrosen.com/tummy-tuck-connecticut/

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Cost vs experience in Plastic Surgery

+2

When it comes to comparing cost vs experience one needs to consider several things. First it is unquestionable that the more experience one has the better the results. So with residents there is less experience so they cannot possibly be as good as a plastic surgeon who has 20 years of experience. Second, the results of a procedure will be with you the rest of you life, the money savings are temporary.  

One other way to save money is to shop around outside your immediate geographic area. NYC is a high priced area for everything whereas rural New York may be substantially lower even with an experienced plastic surgeon.

I am not saying that you shouldn't have surgery with residents but you need to consider these issues

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck by doctors in training

+2

When you choose the resident clinic at a university training program the resident will have a chance to try out what he has learned while mentoring with the board certified attending staff. The attending is unlikely to be involved with your procedure, or be available to you for after care. After the resident rotates on in his training, he, too, will not be available to you, only the next in line. Our feeling is experience is everything, as is an ongoing relationship you can count on.

Peter Johnson, MD

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Plastic surgery in training programs

+2

This will be a cheaper option but you almost certainly won't get the same result as if you went to a doctor with 20 yeasr of experience.  They will be young, eager to please, but won't have done enough and followed enough patients to know exactly ho to optimize the result.  Maybe getting a B+ result rather than an A would be a good trade off for the savings, only you can answer that.

This is your choice

+2

All board certified plastic surgeons operated on patients while they were in training. It is cheaper doing it this way; however, you do not have the personalized care you get in a private plastic surgeons office. If you can deal with a clinic atmosphere and less contact with your doctor for the price, you have to decide. Remember, you get what you pay for. Experience is expensive.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com