When Will I See The Final Results of My Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 2 day away from a month from my surgery and i love the results other than the hip roll on my sides will this go away my doctor said gie it 3 to 6 months but that is a long time i want it fixed it hurts to put pressure on my sides also had lipo of the flanks .

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  You are still very early in the healing process. I agree with many of the other surgeons.  Most of the swelling will resolve by 3-6 months.  If there is still some residual fullness, a small liposuction procedure under local anesthesia in the office is a possibility.  Small dog ears will often resolve with time and many patients will later appreciate the smaller scar.  Scars will take up to a year to be fully mature.  It is hard for both the patient and surgeon to wait for the final results.  I would agree with your surgeon to wait at least 3-6 months.  If you have concerns, make sure you talk to your surgeon and get all of your questions answered.  Sometimes it just takes some reassurance that what is happening to you has happened to other patients. Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Recommend wait 6 months to revise Hip Roll or Dog Ear after Tummy Tuck

+1

I understand your frustration with the Hip Roll or Dog Ear after your Tummy Tuck.

This is very common and is the result of your surgeon trying to minimize the length of your scar.

With massage and time the problem will be much less noticeable at 6 months.

Revision will also be more effective and produce a better result at 6 months than at 2-3 months. The tissues are still healing and to operate now will compromise your result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

+1

The result of your tummy tuck will develop and evolve for about one year following the procedure, maybe even longer.  If there are areas that are very uncomfortable that you wish revised sooner, discuss frankly with your surgeon.  We all generally want happy patients.  If he/she prefers not to revise now despite your appeals, there is usually a good reason.  If this is the case, go along with your surgeon's recommendation, but be sure he/she agrees to revise it in the future if the problem doesn't go away.

Steve Laverson, MD

Hip Roll after Tummy Tuck

+1

If this doesn't get better in 3 months, it is reasonable to treat it with liposuction or a small revision in the office. This is not that uncommon and will likely improve over time.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

When Will I See The Final Results of My Tummy Tuck?

+1

It can take 6 months or so for patient to see the final results in terms of contour, and of course scars improve for even a few years after surgery.  Some mild dog-ears will resolve as the swelling decreases over the coming weeks and months, larger dog-ears will not completely resolve and may need revision, whether by liposuction, direct excision, or a combination of both.  Dog-ear revision, should it be needed, is a minor procedure.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Give your self 6 months

+1

I believe by six months you should achieve 95% of your result but the last 5% can take over a year.  I think you might be developing a small dogear.  After several months it is still present it can be fixed easily in the office by your surgeon.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Final tummy tuck results

+1
It can take up to six months for the swelling to settle down enough to assess the final results of tummy tuck surgery. If there is a bulge on one side, it is possible that you need a bit more liposuction in that area. This is a correction which can always be performed, often under local anesthesia in the office so, if it does not resolve on its own, please keep up with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How long for tummy tuck results?

+1

It is hard to be patient after surgery.  We surgeons are just as anxious for final results, buit they take time.  Eventhough your body will be haeling over a year or more, you will not likely see  something that resembles your final result for about six months.  Unfortunately, the tenderness on the sides is common with flank liposuction, but it almost always gets better over time.  Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.

The 'dog ears' at the end of your incision are fairly common.  They can be revised with minor surgery, but usually not before six months.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Final Results from Tummy Tuck

+1

The final results from a tummy tuck typically are not visible for at least four to six months.  Some people require even longer to achieve their final results.  The scar will continue to mature for several years.  At one month after surgery one can still expect to have significant swelling.  Many people note that the swelling in the afternoon is more prominent than in the morning.  The hip roll that you have noted represents a "dog ear."  This is not too uncommon after tummy tuck and may resolve on its on with more time.  If it does not, revision is often relatively easy and can usually be done under local anesthesia.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

At Least Three Months For Tummy-Tuck Results

+1

With any sort of abdominal procedure, whether it is just liposuction or a full tummy-tuck, it takes at least three months for all of the swelling to subside and the changes to stabilize.  At the one month mark, you still have alot of changes to go, so just be patient, follow your surgeon's post-op instructions, and be patient.  You will be surprised at the difference a few months will make.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon