When Will I See The Final Results of My Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 2 day away from a month from my surgery and i love the results other than the hip roll on my sides will this go away my doctor said gie it 3 to 6 months but that is a long time i want it fixed it hurts to put pressure on my sides also had lipo of the flanks .

Swelling after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos.  You are still very early in the healing process. I agree with many of the other surgeons.  Most of the swelling will resolve by 3-6 months.  If there is still some residual fullness, a small liposuction procedure under local anesthesia in the office is a possibility.  Small dog ears will often resolve with time and many patients will later appreciate the smaller scar.  Scars will take up to a year to be fully mature.  It is hard for both the patient and surgeon to wait for the final results.  I would agree with your surgeon to wait at least 3-6 months.  If you have concerns, make sure you talk to your surgeon and get all of your questions answered.  Sometimes it just takes some reassurance that what is happening to you has happened to other patients. Good luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

800 12th Avenue
Forth Worth, TX 76104

Recommend wait 6 months to revise Hip Roll or Dog Ear after Tummy Tuck

I understand your frustration with the Hip Roll or Dog Ear after your Tummy Tuck.

This is very common and is the result of your surgeon trying to minimize the length of your scar.

With massage and time the problem will be much less noticeable at 6 months.

Revision will also be more effective and produce a better result at 6 months than at 2-3 months. The tissues are still healing and to operate now will compromise your result.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Hip Roll after Tummy Tuck

If this doesn't get better in 3 months, it is reasonable to treat it with liposuction or a small revision in the office. This is not that uncommon and will likely improve over time.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Give your self 6 months

I believe by six months you should achieve 95% of your result but the last 5% can take over a year.  I think you might be developing a small dogear.  After several months it is still present it can be fixed easily in the office by your surgeon.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

1870 Keller Parkway
Keller, TX 76248

Final tummy tuck results

It can take up to six months for the swelling to settle down enough to assess the final results of tummy tuck surgery. If there is a bulge on one side, it is possible that you need a bit more liposuction in that area. This is a correction which can always be performed, often under local anesthesia in the office so, if it does not resolve on its own, please keep up with your plastic surgeon.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

How long for tummy tuck results?

It is hard to be patient after surgery.  We surgeons are just as anxious for final results, buit they take time.  Eventhough your body will be haeling over a year or more, you will not likely see  something that resembles your final result for about six months.  Unfortunately, the tenderness on the sides is common with flank liposuction, but it almost always gets better over time.  Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end.

The 'dog ears' at the end of your incision are fairly common.  They can be revised with minor surgery, but usually not before six months.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

2207 San Pedro Drive Northeast
Albuquerque, NM 87110

Final Results from Tummy Tuck

The final results from a tummy tuck typically are not visible for at least four to six months.  Some people require even longer to achieve their final results.  The scar will continue to mature for several years.  At one month after surgery one can still expect to have significant swelling.  Many people note that the swelling in the afternoon is more prominent than in the morning.  The hip roll that you have noted represents a "dog ear."  This is not too uncommon after tummy tuck and may resolve on its on with more time.  If it does not, revision is often relatively easy and can usually be done under local anesthesia.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

649 North New Hope Road
Gastonia, NC 28054

At Least Three Months For Tummy-Tuck Results

With any sort of abdominal procedure, whether it is just liposuction or a full tummy-tuck, it takes at least three months for all of the swelling to subside and the changes to stabilize.  At the one month mark, you still have alot of changes to go, so just be patient, follow your surgeon's post-op instructions, and be patient.  You will be surprised at the difference a few months will make.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

1602 Colonial Parkway
Inverness, IL 60067

Post op abdominoplasty and hip roll

you are very early in the recovery period. things should improve significantly. whether you will end up with a "dog ear" or fullness at the end of the incision, time will tell if you need a minor touch up. stay in touch with your surgeon.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

91 East Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06851

Tummy Tuck Results?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At one month post-op you are nowhere near seeing the final results of the tummy tuck/liposuction surgery.

Generally, it takes many months for swelling to resolve after tummy tuck surgery and it may take up to one year  (or greater)  for complete skin redraping  to occur.

Based on the close-up picture,  you may have a “dog ear" ( redundant skin)  at the end of the incision line. This will likely improve with time but revisionary surgery may be helpful if it does not improve to your satisfaction.

I would suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942