Should I Get a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I lost about 140 lbs through exercise and dieting. I had been obese since I was about 8 years old. I weigh about 160 lbs now and have maintained it for almost 2 years now. My stomach still has a very loose/flabby look to it but I decided to wait and see if it would improve at all. It hasn't. I am wondering if a tummy tuck would help improve my appearance. I am about 5' 11" and 22 years old. Any input/suggestions are welcome! Thanks!

Circumferential body tightening appears to be a reasonable approach

+2

You may be half the person you were but probably feel more than twice as good. Congratulations on the weight loss.

You photos are quite helpful and clearly indicated that you would benefit not only from a tummy tuck but also from a circumferential skin tightening, called a belt lipectomy or lower body lift. Consider seeking consultations from 2 or more board certified plastic surgeons who are experienced in massive weight loss surgery (MWL).

Good luck!

Male tummy tuck/abdominoplasty/massive weight loss

+2

Congratulations on not only losing your weight, but maintaining it for 2 years! You are on a small list of people who can accomplish this. However, that list contains those who are excellent candidates for tummy tuck. Tummy tucks in males with massive weight loss  have less pain and downtime than the typical post partum tummy tuck in females. In males in most cases  no muscle tightening needs to be done. Muscle tightening is where pain and downtime is maximized. It is a necessary step and well worth it when the abdominal wall muscles and tissue have been stretched with pregnancy.

There are a few exceptions, but if you are working out I suspect your abdomen is firm and in good shape. You simply have excess loose skin which can be excised. In these "skin only " abdominoplasties the recovery is much simpler. 

In summary, you are an ideal candidate for tummy tuck. No other procedure will rid you of this excess skin at this point. 

Jay Burns, MD

Am I A Candidate For A Tummy Tuck?

+2

Dear Thinnernow,  First, congratulations on your weight loss.  You have succeeded where so many others have failed.  As you are now noticing, despite your weight loss and your patience in waiting for your skin to shrink to match your weight change, your skin is not cooperating.  Because of your previous excess weight and the duration that you were overweight, your skin has lost some of its ability to shrink.  The best option for treating this problem is an abdominoplasty-a tummy tuck.  You may or may not need the abdominal muscles tightened and this is something you should discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Recovery is a bit faster if you do not require a muscle repair and need just a "skin only" tuck.  Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to learn what type of tummy tuck would work best for you.  And again, congrats on the weight loss.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, weight loss, liposuction

+2

You have worked very hard not only to achieve this large loss of weight, but also to change your lifestyle to maintain your lower weight. The abdominoplasty or tummytuck procedure will accomplish what yoou cannot do, and that is to tighten the skin. I find with my weight loss patients, it is common to extend the surgery around the flanks and to the lower back to accentuate the waist and make the new look complete. It is important the scar be kept very low, so make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in your problem. And make sure you see several post op photos to see where that surgeon likes to place the scars so there ar no surprises after surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy Tuck After Massive Weight Loss

+2

Dear Thinnernow:

Congratulations on maintaining your massive weight loss. Since your weight has been stable for 2 years, it is unlikely that you will get any further spontaneous skin tightening. The best treatment available is a tummy tuck. This can tighten the muscles behind the skin, remove excess fat from the lower abdomen, tighten the remaining skin and decrease the skin hooding over your belly-button.

The best way to find out what will work best for you is to obtain a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. Great Work!

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a tummy tuck?

+2

You are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck, which would be the only procedure that would remove that extra skin and give you a tighter tummy.  The long lower incision should ideally be kept under your swimsuit line adn would span pretty much from hip to hip. There would be a small scar around the belly button that is usually fairly inconspicuous in the shadow line of the belly button.  You may not need a fascia/muscle tightening, which is the part that is more uncomfortable after surgery. Be sure to consult with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tummy tuck?

+2

Great job on the weight loss.  As you have learned, that skin has lost a lot of elasticity and will not likely go anywhere without surgery.  As long as your weight is stable, you are in good health with realistic expectations and do not smoke then you are a great candidate.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a tummy tuck?

+2

You appear to be an excellent candidate for an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck).  Congratulations on your weight loss and ability to maintain your new weight.  

In patients who have lost a significant amount of weight, loose skin may extend all the way around the trunk.  Those patients may require a circumferential procedure that will address both the abdomen and the flanks.  Many surgeons sequence the procedures if both the abdomen and flanks need to be addressed.   You should go in for a consultation with one or more  board certified plastic surgeons to help you review your options.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck?

+2

I believe you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  Depending on your exam, you may need a circumferential body lift to remove the posterior excess skin.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tummy tuck following weight loss.

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss, and more specifically - keeping it off. A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is a good operation to remove the excess "hanging" skin. Depending on the remainder of your exam, you may even be a candidate for a lower body lift to tighten the area over your hips and back. I recommend seeing a few board certified plastic surgeons to determine what your options are.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon