Mini Tummy Tuck for Hourglass Shape?

In all pictures that I've seen taken after a tummy tuck is performed, the tummy shape doesn't look pretty to me. I've been told twice to get the flatness I want I would benefit from a mini tummy tuck. I'm nervous because I want that pretty hourglass shape that I never see in a tummy tuck end result picture. Is it not possible? P.s. I'm 28 with no kids and don't plan to have any.

A Tummy Tuck CAN Narrow the waist. Look at photos on this site

+3

The ‘Internal Corset’ – a procedure to narrow the waist

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.

Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Web reference: http://michaellawmd.com

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks don't really provide an "Hour Glass" shape

+2

Tummy tucks are performed to remove excess skin.  They really don't give that "Hour Glass" shape that you are seeking.  They tighten skin, and muscles if needed and flatten the abdomen.  It is Liposuction that improves your shape.  Liposuction is performed to remove excess fat from under your skin and improve your shape. But for the best liposuction results you need to have tight skin.  So if your skin is loose, wrinkled, stretch marked, or if you have rolls of excess skin, I usually recommend having a tummy tuck at the same time to achieve that hour glass shape
Good Luck
Dr Markmann

Web reference: http://www.DiscoverTheBeauty.com

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Liposuction on the flanks will help with the hourglass shape and only if you have loose skin below your BB will the mini tummy tuck help you.  We do mini TT and people are very happy with the results, but not all are a candidate for this procedure.  For those who are, they do well.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring to have hour glass shape

+1

A current photo would be very helpful to determine whether you are a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. A mini tummy tuck only involves work done to the muscles and skin below the belly button area. Ultimately, it is best to discuss your overall goals with your surgeon in person to decide what your best and safest option is. Explain to him/her your goals (and definition) of “hour glass figure”. You may be a good candidate for liposuction to help improve body contours. Since you have not had any children, your muscles may not need any repair.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

You can improve your waist line with a mini or a tummy tuck

+1

You can improve your waist line with a mini or a tummy tuck if your muscle are tighten not only in the center but also on the sides in addition to tightening the skin,if your muscles are only tighten in the center you don't get an improvement on your waistline See my tummy tuck pictures

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck does NOT Narrow your Waist

+1

Re ; "In all pictures that I've seen taken after a tummy tuck is performed, the tummy shape doesn't look pretty to me. I've been told twice to get the flatness I want I would benefit from a mini tummy tuck. I'm nervous because I want that pretty hourglass shape that I never see in a tummy tuck end result picture. Is it not possible? P.s. I'm 28 with no kids and don't plan to have any"

Without an examination much less a few good photograph no one can give you accurate information.  A Waist which is narrower than your hips is something you develop in your teens and has to do with feminine fat deposits on the hips rather than inside the abdomen. As a woman has one or more pregnancies and her muscles are split and stretched out the waist widens. It widens further with fat deposition along the waist / love handles areas.

A FULL Tummy Tuck involves a tightening of the tummy muscles with a resulting narrowing of the waist IN ADDITION to removing of ALL the loose tummy skin. A MINI Tummy Tuck removes only the loose skin below the belly button and will NOT narrow the waist. It is done in a small number of thin women whose sole complaint is a small amount of loose tummy skin confined to only below the belly button.

You may gain an hourglass shape with liposuction of the tummy and waist.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Tummy tuck body shaping issues

+1

The hour glass figure that you refer to is mostly based on the torso and pelvic musculoskeletal anatomy for each patient. Liposuction can emphasize 'waist suppression' to give the illusion of an hour-glass figure. A tummy tuck cannot create this shaping.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/tummy_tuck.php

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.