Lost 50lbs of baby weight and now skin is prune-like: Do I Need a Tummy Tuck?

i gained 50 lbs when i was pregnant and i lost it all fairly quickly in about 2 and a half months so it made my skin look all pruney if i suckd in my stomach but just really fatty at rest well ive been doing p90x for about 60 days now and im wondering am i wasting my time will i be able to get a flat stomach or will i need a tummy tuck because i cant even pull my tummy skin down or up so what should i do thank you!

Tummy Tuck Candidate after pregnancy

+1

Congratulations on your baby and subsequent weight loss. The photographs suggest excess skin so you may benefit from a tummy tuck. The results of any surgery will be better for a healthy and active person so the tme you exercise will pay off. If you are considering another child in the near future, you may want to hold off on the surgery though. To explore your options, consult with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

You might benefit from a tummy tuck

+1

If you have lost 50 pounds after your pregnancy and have alot of loose abdominal skin, you may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  This would be especially the case if you have alot of stretch marks from your pregnancy which it sounds like you do.  I would recommend that you consult with a board certified plastic surgery in your area.  One can be found by consulting the website of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.

James Tang, MD

Tummy tuck after baby

+1

A tummy tuck should be very helpful. If you are planning to have more children you might wait untill after that to proceed. Future pregnancy is not a contraindication but something to consider.

Ernest D. Cronin, MD

Looks like fat is not your main problem

+1

From the photos it seems that the main issue is loose skin.  Loose skin is best treated with excision and tightening.  The best procedure for this is a tummy tuck.  From the photo's it is not possible to tell whether or not you are a candidate.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon who can help you make this decision.  Liposuction will remove fat but the skin will remain loose or possibly get looser.  Once you have stretch marks the skin will not tighten.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck tightens skin and muscle

+1

First, congratulations on your baby and your subsequent weight loss. Anything a surgeon can achieve will look better if your are working out. Although I really can't tell just from photographs, without an exam, it does appear that you have enough skin excess that a tummy tuck is warranted. Liposuction alone will remove the small amount of excess fat you have at the lower abdomen, but will not reduce the excess skin. The tummy tuck will also allow tightening of abdominal muscles, to help shape your hourglass. Thanks for your question.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

If you want it tighter, a tummy tuck is best....

+1

Tummy tuck is the operation of "tighter." Other operations can remove fat (liposuction primarily,) but really don't make things any tighter or much flatter. It sounds like a tummy tuck may be the best way to go for you.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Would Improve Excess Skin & Flatten Tummy

+1

I doubt that continued abdominal exercises will lead to any significant improvement in your tummy.  You do not appear to have a great deal of fat.  I think your main problems are probably related to some separation of your  muscle and some excess skin.  A tummy tuck should improve both of these.

John Whitt, MD

Do I need a Tummy tuck?

+1

Your photos show loose skin in the central part of your tummy as a result of pregnancy. The skin has lost its elasticity which resulted in stretch marks and unfortunately that does not go away with exercise.

Your muscles underneath are probably not separated so you may not need them tightened but I would recommend a tummy tuck to take care of the skin.

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck indications

+1

A tummy tuck would probably give you the best result, however, because you may have only a moderate amount of upper abdominal skin excess and a relatively high belly button position a more conservative skin excision may be required, resulting in a small central vertical scar in addition to the standard horizontal scar.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Exercising Does Not Tighten Skin.

+1

You are never wasting your time exercising.   But!  There is no exercise in this world that will tighten your skin.  It's great for muscle tone, and can burn fat if you do it right and eat right.  But, your muscles are deep under your skin.  Exercising your muscles does nothing for your skin.
From your photos, it appears as though a tummy tuck is the best procedure for you.  

Daniel P. Markmann, MD