2nd Tummy Tuck

A 36 yr old, had a tummy tuck done 6.5 weeks ago. Unhappy with the results as I went to see the surgeon 5 weeks post op, he performed a full tummy tuck but explained that he was unable to pull all of the loose skin all the way down because of the bleeding pattern and made a decision based on that to minimize the chances of the skin dying. He recommended a revision in about 8-10 mths as I was extremely unhappy. Does his explanation make any sense and will the revision make any difference.

Revision tummy tuck

+3

It is difficult for me to determine what went on during your surgery based on your comments alone.  But I would guess that your surgeon was concerned about the blood supply to the skin during your tummy tuck.  Your surgeon may have modified your surgery  intraoperatively to prevent a healing problem that could have manifested as skin necrosis (a rare  tummy tuck complication where part of your skin turns black and dies).    I hear you loud and clear that you are unhappy with your result.   But, based on your picture, there are 2 positives for you - 1) it looks like you are healing OK with no skin necrosis and 2) your scar is nice and low.  As per revision surgery, once your swelling has resolved (at least 6-8 weeks), you may consider a scar revision / additional skin tightening in the future as needed. I hope this helps.  Best of luck.

Revision tummy tucks

+3

This story does not make much sense to me, however this is difficult to comment on without examining you and knowing your medical history. Based on your photos, you appear to have more skin which will need to be removed and I do agree you should wait at least 10 more months. You may want to get a second opinion in the meantime if you are not clear on your surgeon's explanation of what was done.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a more comprehensive examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Unhappy with tummy tuck

+3

It is possible that during the surgery, your surgeon found that the circulation to your tissue was poor and he was unable to pull you as tight as he would have liked.  This scenario does not happen often, but it can happen.  It looks like you still have some skin excess in the lower abdomen.  I would follow your surgeon's advice and wait at least 6 months to allow your tummy to heal.  He should be able to perform a revision and remove the excess skin that is left and give you a better result.

Caroline Min, MD

Revision tummy tuck

+3

It is possible that your surgeon was concerned about blood flow to the skin and so he played it safe and did less than planned. While it may not seem ideal, preventing skin loss/death is important. Give it at least 6 months and see how things look. If a revision is needed, it may only require removing a strip of skin above the incision.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Revision Tummy Tuck

+2

My first question is this: was your surgeon a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon?  Do you have an underlying medical condition that was or was not disclosed prior to the procedure? Do you smoke?  There are too many questions and not enough answers to give an opinion.  I would seek a second opinion. You do need to keep in mind that no surgeon would want a patient to have an undesirable result. Your health and well being are far more important to a reputable plastic surgeon than the aesthetic results. Best of luck!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Tummy Tuck Can Achieve A Good Final Result

+2

The good news is that your scar is very low, the belly button is inset symmetrically and you did not have any healing problems...and you most certainly have had some improvement over where you started. While there is some excessive and bunched up skin along the incision line, that can be easily improved by a revisional procedure at some point. I suspect that the amount of skin to be removed was lessened during surgery to avoid the risk of excessive tension and wound healing problems. While you understandably do not like the result thus far, you would have liked a major wound healing problem a whole lot less.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

2nd Tummy Tuck

+2

Very hard to answer if the issue was a circulatory one or very poor planning by your chosen surgeon. Either way your result is poor. I might ask for partial refund and seek another surgeon. From MIAMI DR. Darryl j. Blinski

Tummy tuck revision can pay off

+2

The explanation does not make much sense. Bleeding is a vary rare issue during tummy tuck. Not pulling the skin all the way down, fairly common, but the closure is not very pretty. However, your abdominal contour is good, belly button is inset nicely, and the transverse scar is nice and low and will be concealed well under clothing. A scar such as yours will do very well with revision after six months. Unfortunate, that it happened, but if your surgeon will stand with you and straighten things out, there is much to be thankful for.

peterejohnsonmd

Tummy Tucks and Recovery

+2

Be patient.  You are far too early to assess.  Healing takes 1 year. You look pretty good for just 6 weeks.  At 6 weeks many people are unhappy.  Enjoy, exercise, and at one year you may need nothing.  Yes, your surgeon does make sense and had to make the best decision for you.  Sticking with your original surgeon is always best.  6 weeks is no time to even remotely consider or discuss revisions.   Good luck.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Revision Tummy Tuck Needed

+1

Sometimes during the course of a procedure the surgeon will need to change the surgical plan based on the blood supply of the flap(s). Without being at the procedure, based on what your surgeon said, this is probably what happened. Having said that, your result is certainly not up to par, there are dog ears present, your upper flap is much thicker than your lower flap and you have a significant step off into the pubic area. There is bunching of the skin medially (toward the midline).

I would recommend a complete redo of the procedure. Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon