Will I have a good result without doing the full abdominoplasty?

I am having a mini tummy tuck in a month. Will I have a good result without doing the full abdominoplasty? I still can change to a full tt although I would rather do the mini. Please help. I need another opinion. Thanks.

Mini vs. Full

+2

A mini Tummy Tuck in my opinion is a compromise to accept a lesser result in exchange for a smaller operation.  Looking at your photos I can easily tell you that a mini will not do.  This is not to say that in some very few cases it is the way to go.

When the problem is excess of skin as in your case, then the incission must be generous.  This allows a much better draping of the abdominal skin and also allows to reduce the thickness of the fatty tissue with the liposuction of choice.  That, combined with the repair of the abdominal muscles, will restore the appearance of a youthful and fit abdomen.  I also like to use very low incissions over the pubic area.  This allows the scar to fall in a natural landmark and away from the underwear or bikini line.  It should also lift the pubic area or mons pubis which is often lax and redundant in these cases.  I often see old fashion Tummy tucks in which the scar is very high, usually mid point between the newly created belly button (often huge and ugly) and the lax unattended pubis.  This is not ideal and you should be careful with these types of results, we've come a long way from this.  Special attention should be given to the closure of the new belly button.  It should be small, vertically oriented and no cross hatching (raildroad tracks) of sutures should be seen. 

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Full versus Mini Abdominoplasry

+2
A full tummy tuck will always give a better result than a mini tummy tuck, taking into account the longer scar. Your photo shows separation of your rectus (six pack) muscles, abdominal bulging, and excess skin above your umbilicus. These are all indications for a full tummy tuck. A mini abdominoplasty will tighten the skin below your umbilicus, and remove a few stretch marks.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Determining The Best Type Of Tummy Tuck Is A Balance Of Several Factors

+2

When trying to decide between a mini- vs a full tummy tuck in someone with your abdominal concerns, ask yourself the reverse question. Not which one  would produce the best result, as clearly a full tummy tuck will, but which of their liabilities can you live with the best. The best result will come from a full tummy tuck but there will be a longer scar that will ride higher than that of the mini-tummy tuck. The mini-tummy tuck will have a lower and shorter scar but you will not end up as flat and will still have some loose skin. Which is more important to you? You are one patient who could go either way and have good improvement but with some minor differences in the result.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

A Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1

From your photos, it appears that you have enough excess skin that your mini tummy tuck will have the scar the length of a full. If that is the case, then all of the negative relating to the full is gone, so why not try and get the most dramatic result. The mini tummy tuck often produces only a mini result.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

You will need a full tummy tuck to properly address your concerns.

+1

The photos reveal some minor issues related to subcutaneous fat and skin laxity. More apparent is a central weakness that can only be addressed effectively by tightening the abdominal wall muscles. Correction of this weakness or central bulge, will in fact create more skin laxity . Therefore, in my opinion, a full tummy tuck is required to optimize your result. Keep in mind that my opinion is limited to your photos and obviously requires a more comprehensive evaluation in the office to better address your needs

Nick Masri, MD

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

I would need to see in your the office for an examination before I could answer your question.  I would follow the advice of your well trained and reputable Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. We all want our patients to have amazing results and recommend the treatments which would best address and individuals concerns.  Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Is MINI Tummy Tuck the operation for me?

+1

Your photograph does NOT give enough information to answer your question. Depending on how many children you had, the extent of your rectus muscle separation, the location of the belly button and the extent of loose skin, a diversified Plastic surgeon would be able to advise you on WHICH subtype of full or mini tummy tuck may work best for you.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Mini abdominoplasty versus full abdominoplasty

+1

To properly evaluate an abdomen you have to look at three things: the skin the fat and the abdominal muscle separation,If all of these are  a factor  then a full abdominoplasty is the only answer. A miniabdomioplasty often gives mini resultsYou probably should get another opinion with a physical exam to evaluate your skin looseness the amount of fat and the degree of muscle separation.

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck versus a full tummy tuck

+1

It appears that you do have a fair amount of excess skin and abdominal wall laxity that probably extends above the belly button. A side view would be of additional help. However, the best way to give you a definitive opinion on which approach would be better would be through an examination. A second opinion from a plastic surgeon in your area would be strongly recommended.

From what I see, you will not be a good result from a true mini tummy tuck.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD