Tummy Tuck Gone Wrong? (photo)

Almost 5 months out and my tummy looks a hot mess.. Well let me start off like this I had a full Tt back in July 2012. I had my surgery that morning and I was home that evening with drains and pain meds... I was somewhat flat the first couple of days and then swell hell. and that was 5 months ago and I'm still dealing with it.. So I go in to see my ps and she tells me that I have gained 6 lbs and that's why my tummy looks this way ..... Advice please what is going on?

Tummy Tuck and Swelling

+3

If there is a concern that someone looks the same before and after surgery, preop and postop photos may give some insight into this evaluation.

Tummy Tuck Gone Wrong?

+3

It is hard to render an opinion with only post-op photos. From the looks of the photos, there is probably a lot of intraabdominal excess fat, and that is not accessible to the plastic surgeon--only weight loss can resolve that. 

The skin contour looks OK, and the navel scar looks if anything better than average. Please consider adding some pre-surgery photos, and a better online evalutation will be possible.

By five months, most or all swelling is likely gone. 

Thanks, best wishes.

Sources for abdominal fullness after tummy tuck

+3

Thank you for the question and photos.  There are several possible reasons for abdominal fullness after a tummy tuck including: weight gain, swelling, seroma/pseudobursa, abdominal wall laxity, excess fat.  It would be helpful to see your before photos as well as some type of insight into how you looked like during your recovery period.  At 5 months most of the swelling should be gone.  If you have gained weight I would encourage your to get back to your initial weight or lower and then you can further assess your tummy tuck result.  Excess fat can be liposuctioned while abdominal wall laxity and pseudobursa will have to be surgically repaired/removed.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck

+2

Pre operative photographs would be very helpful here. Your result looks good. You may require some lipo at a later time

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Without seeing your before pictures and knowing more about the surgery you had performed, it is difficult to give you specific advice.  By 5 months later, 99% of your swelling should be resolved.

Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Expectations following an abominoplasty

+1

Most of your swelling should be gone by 5 months.  You have included only your post op photographs, seeing your pre-operative photos would be very helpful.  Some times an abdominplasty must be staged, in other words, you may need more aggressive liposuctioning of the trunk and then some secondary tightening of the skin.   It is just hard to say without seeing what you looked like prior to surgery.  Your plastic surgeon is in the best position to know what needs to be done to take you to a level of satisfaction with your surgery.   It is our task to guide our patients through the procedure and let give them reasonable expectations.  At the end of the day we want our patients to be able to look in the mirror and say I got what I thought I was going to get.   I hope you find yourself in that position.  

Swelling after tummy tuck

+1

Your tummy looks good for having had surgery, but your fullness is likely related to excess body weight and perhaps not aggressive enough muscle tightening.  I recommend weight loss and exercise to maximize your contours and if you still have a bulge consider a revision with more aggressive muscle plication.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Tummy Tuck Gone Wrong?

+1

Based on the very limited information and photos I recommend a 20 pound aggressive weight loss. Than see how you appear. 

Unhappy after tummy tuck

+1

There can be many causes for persistant lower abdominal fullness after tummy tuck, as swelling should be clear by five months. A second consultation might help you sort things out.

Not Happy after Tummy Tuck...

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment after tummy tucks surgery. 2 pieces of "information” will be very valuable then evaluating your situation:  your preoperative photographs as well as your current  physical examination should provide enough information as to figure out “what is going on” and what can be done to improve your situation.

For your own peace of mind, it sounds like you may benefit from in-person consultation with other Board certified plastic surgeons as well.