Was My Tummy Tuck Done Wrong? (Photos)

Had mommy make-over 9-01-11. I know my tummy tuck does not look right, yet my doctor keeps insisting it's just swollen and to give it time. I have two humps in the middle, I am developing sores/rash where it folds together. My stomach looks distorted, it's not flat and I know the difference between swelling and something being wrong. Can anyone shed light on what was done incorrectly and can it be repaired? Should my doctor fix this? I have no more money to put towards this. I'm am devastated.

Unhappy with the results of mommy makeover

+2

In concurrence with the previous assessments, your preoperative photos demonstrate excess skin in both the vertical and horizontal dimensions meaning that a tummy tuck with a vertical scar would have allowed for much better contouring. However, I don't know what was discussed between you and your doctor regarding this issue.

You breast implants appear high and are unlikely to change much relative to the location of your breasts.

Overall, though your results are not ideal, the ultimate outcome is clearly possible to improve allowing you to obtain a more satisfying outcome. You should probably wait at least 6 months before proceeding. Obviously, make your surgeon aware of your dissatisfaction now.

Good luck!

Your results leave something to be desired

+2

From your photographs, I would have to say that you have less than a fully desirable result.  I suspect that you have so much excess skin and soft tissue from your weight loss, that you needed to have a vertical incision in addition to the horizontal incision that you had.  You seem to still have quite abit of excess skin laxity in the vertical dimension and that you need more excision from the top of the abdomen to the bottom along a vertical axis.  It probably could still be done now, but it would involve another operation.

James Tang, MD

Vertical incision added to tummy tuck can give improved result

+2

Based on your photos it appears that you have horizontal and vertical laxity of your skin which would have been best addressed perhaps with a vertical incision added to your traditional horizontal tummy tuck incision. This would have allowed for more removal of skin in the midline. Once you recover from your tummy tuck, it's possible for your surgeon to remove more skin in this fashion. Be patient for now and discuss this matter with your plastic surgeon in detail.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Your Result is Not Ideal

+2

The central rash and skin breakdown is due to skin folding. I believe you would have benefited from a vertical incisions (a fleur de lis tuck) - this would effectively decrease your waist and remove central skin. However this would give more scarring which can be visible. This can still be done. Your implants are still high - they may settle with time, it is too early too tell. Definitely discuss all of this with your surgeon.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck result

+1

I agree with many of my colleagues in that results will likely improve with time.... but.... not as much as you are probably hoping for.  I think you will need a revision.  Please keep an honest and open dialogue with your surgeon and ask him or her what their assessment is of your results.  The good news is that a vertical scar will take away the remaining redundancy that is causing the rash.  I hope you are aggressively massaging your breasts- they appear to be quite high but that can improve with time and massage.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Agree, but not so fast.

+1

This will improve draumatically due to the swelling.  That results from pulling in from the sides to get a nice waist line which you have; it is a Ted Lockwood technique.  It may have been pulled in a tad much, but it will improve.  Try to be patient i have seen this in my patients. see video

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Tummy tuck question

+1

It looks like you had vertical and horizontal skin excess, and you might eventually benefit from a midline scar to remove some of the redundent tissue - the trade-off is more scarring for a better contour.   There is a lot of swelling following the procedures that takes weeks-months to resolve, so unfortunately (and correctly) you are being asked to have patience, which is one of the hardest things.   Keep communication lines open with your plastic surgeon as you go through the healing process. 

Michelle Spring, MD

You are too early after surgery

+1

To be fair when evaluating  the other surgeon's work, we need to have all the information . We need to know what was your requests and your expectations. We need to know if you refused to have lift and vertical incision. Your surgeon has tried to give you the best he could do and you need to wait till you have healed. After full recovery if you are not happy,you need to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Tummy Tuck

+1

I agree with Dr. Kyllo that both your abdominoplasty and breast augmentation could be improved substantially with revision.   If you select a different surgeon make sure that he or she is experienced and qualified with certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Was My Tummy Tuck Done Wrong

+1

Thanks for the photos posted. It appears you could achieve an improved result after full healing of 3 to 6 months with a revision.