Tummy Tuck Worries

I am considering having a TT because the stretch marks I have are so unsightly and my self image is suffering because of it, but I am terrified of having this procedure done because of the severity of the surgery. I have awful nightmarish fears that my skin would come unstitched and basically fly up like a window shade (as funny as it sounds), getting some horrible infection or having my stomach fused to the top of my crotch, like I have actually seen! Is a TT generally safe with good results?

Tummy Tuck Usually Safe With Experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+3

Thank you for your question. I can understand why you have the concerns that you have as there is a great deal of misinformation on the web.

Any plastic surgery operation is a serious event and you need to be fully informed about the potential risks and complications and all of your questions and concerns need to be fully addressed by the surgeon you choose.

In my experience, which covers 31 years, tummy tuck is one of the happiest procedures that I do. You need to understand that the tummy Tuck is essentially a skin operation and as such is less invasive than a C-section. In some cases the abdominal muscles can be tightened but that is not required in all patients.

the most important thing for you to do if you are seriously considering a tummy tuck is to consult at least 2 plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in tummy tuck surgery and who have an excellent reputation for good results in your community.

Go to the websites of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons and read the information provided on tummy tuck. Make a List of Your Questions and Concerns to Take with You during Your Plastic Surgery Consultation.

By all means after your consultations if you still feel frightened and unsure do not have tummy tuck surgery. You should only have any plastic surgery procedure once your anxieties have been calmed by your consultation and you feel confident that is the best choice for you.

Tummy tuck

+2

Don't be so afraid.  The scenario you described is unheard of.  Although I've seen pretty bad work done elsewhere, me and my patients are extremely satisfied.  You won't regret it!  I would recommend you to be very careful with your Plastic Surgeon selection.  Make sure you look at before and after photos so you'll have an idea of the quality of his or her work and ask for references from other previous patients.

Juan A. Brou, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck concerns

+1

Worrying or apprehension prior to any surgical procedure is normal.  Consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you feel more comfortable about your upcoming surgery. 

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

+1

I have found that the fear of plastic surgery typically stems from a lack of education. As Board Certified Plastic Surgeons, it is our job to meet with you, examine you, and discuss the risks and benefits of the procedures which would address your concerns.  The more educated you become on the procedure, the better you will be equipped to make the decision that is best for you. The most important first step is finding a reputable well trained Board certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You will have great results with the right surgeon.

+1

You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  During the consultation, your questions will be answered.  Most of your concerns are not typical especially the skin lifting.  With a trustorthy surgeon, you will have great results. 

Safety begins and ends with your surgeon

+1

I reccommend you seek the opinion of a board certified surgeon.  During this consultation, your overall health and risks for surgery will be assessed.  You will get a chance to ask your questions and hopefully alleviate your fears.  If you go to my website, there are some videos which explain the risks and benefits of a tummy tuck.  Good luck. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Anxiety with tummy tuck

+1

TT is a large operation that has risks, but is generally safe, and yields great results.  This is because of technique, and more importantly, patient selection.

I would suggest that you are currently not a good candidate for this stressful procedure, as you have too much anxiety.  I would talk to a ps, but you may need counseling regarding your fears, and self esteem issues.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Safety and tummy tucks

+1

Your fears are common.  You should make an appointment for a consultation with a PS in your area.  After meeting him you will find that many of your questions are answered and you will find that many of your fears are unfounded.  The first step is to see a PS then decide for yourself once you have all the information you need.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Concerns

+1

Tummy tucks or abdominoplasties do care certain risks.  As is the case with any surgery, one must always weigh benefits and risks.  Your worries do seem a bit far-fetched and unrealistic.  Almost all of my patients are happy with their results and would do it again if they were given the choice.

John Whitt, MD

Safety of a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are safe procedures in the hands of experienced plastic surgeons and is healthy motivated patients who are in good shape and don't smoke.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS