Tummy Tuck or Work Out?

I had vaser lipo about eight months ago. As a result, I have very loose skin on my tummy. Can I tighten this by working out or do I need a tummy tuck? Thank you for your time.

Exercise will not improve skin quantity or quality

+1

Hi there-

Fundamentally, what you are describing is an excess of skin, that also has lost much of its youthful quality.

There is no amount, type, or intensity of exercise that will improve this situation for you.

Similarly, there is no type of non-invasive treatment that will make this better (despite claims made by the unethical marketing arms of the companies that manufacture devices to do just that).

Your best bet is to visit a surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery for a consultation. You will require some form of a tummy tuck, but you should be able to expect a lovely, flat abdomen.

Good luck!

LOOSE SKIN AFTER LIPOSUCTION OF ABDOMEN

+1

Loose skin, by definition, has lost the normal skin elasticity which allows the skin to "bounce back" after liposuction.

Currently, the only option for such skin is a tummy tuck.

Good Luck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after liposuction

+1

Loose skin can only be treated with a tightening procedure.  Your plastic surgeon can discuss with you the pros and cons of various types of tummy tucks to address your problem.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Abdominoplasty after Liposuction

+1

Loose skin after liposuction is very common. If the skin has not contracted after 8 months, it probably will not do so. There is no way to tighten the skin other than removing it. On the abdomen, this generally means an abdominoplasty.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will remove loose skin.

+1

Hi.

Working out will not tighten loose skin. You probably need to have the excess skin removed. This can really  be done as part of a tummy tuck.

Superficial liposuction with sub dermal tunneling can tighten skin somewhat, but since you have already had liposuction, I would not recommend that

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tummy tuck or work out? Both

+1

There are numerous benefits to exercise but these do not include tightening of skin. The best candidate for a tummy tuck is someone who exercises regularly so you know that whatever localized fat there is doesn't go away, and has some skin laxity. A tummy tuck can also pull the muscles together when they have been pushed apart from pregnancy or weight gain, which exercise also cannot do. It is unfortunate that people are being told that using lasers or VASER with lipo is an alternative to atummy tuck, because they just don't tighten the skin enough.

Richard Baxter, MD

Working Out for Excess Skin

+1

Unfortunately working out does not tighten skin.  The only way to deal with excess skin is to remove it.  It sounds as if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck or work out

+1

Photos posted would be a great help. The answer is you most likely need a TUMMY TUCK! Exercise can not tighten skin enough to get that flat look.

From Miami Dr. B

A Tummy Tuck CANNOT Tighten Skin

+1
Exercise will tone muscles but will not bring them togther. Once the six pack Rectus Abdominis muscles are separated by pregnancy or obesity they will stay apart until they are surgically brought together again. Similarly, loose skin cannot be tightened significantly by any exercise or nonsurgical modality. The answer in your case is probably a Tummy Tuck.

Tummy Tuck or Work Out - what is best?

+1

Working out can definitely reduce the fat on an abdomen and strengthen your abominal wall musculature, however, it does not get skin to shrink.  If the majority of your problem is loose skin, only a skin reducing procedure will solve it.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon