Tummy Tuck At 67 Years Old

I am 67 years old, 5'7", weigh more or less 167 #s. I am thinking alot about a tummy tuck I look pregnate, pants don't fit in the waist area, belly protudes over the top. Is the surgury safe for a woman of my age, is it best to have lipo done at same time? I have the love handles,and fullness right up to my bra area. Another question....can all this come back again? Blood Clots? Bedroom/bath second floor floor,when can do stairs? Best PS in WNY

Risks and Complications after an Abdominoplasty

+2

When considering an abdominoplasty there are a number of questions that need to be addressed. First and most important is what is your general health, do you have any risk factors such as heart disease , blood clots, or diabetes. If you are in good health, then age by itself will not prevent you from having abdominoplasty. The surgery is designed to tighten loose abdominal wall muscles and get rid of the pregnant look. Most often liposuction is done at the same time to get rid of the love handles. It will be difficult to climb stairs for a few days after surgery. I would find a reputable, Board certified, Plastic Surgeon who can help determine if you are a candidate for surgery.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck a patient in their 60's

+1

A tummy tuck certainly can be performed on a patient in their 60's.  Thanks for the photo but a full body shot would be better to assess your needs.

Tummy tuck at 67: Muscle repair?

+1

From your photo, it appears that the fat may not necessarily be under the skin and may reflect intra-abdominal fatty deposits that are not ordinarily trated with a tummy tuck, Muscle repair in a longstanding case of abdominal laxity may result in an uncomfortable sensation of tightness. 

Age and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Tummy-tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, is effective for removal of excess tissue after weight loss.  It is not a suitable choice when weight loss is the principal objective.  Judging from your photos, I would advise weight loss first, then consider tummy tuck after you have gotten close to your goal weight.  Age is not neccesarily a deterrent if your overall health is good and if you are not a smoker. 

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Let's be honest

+1

Although your age may not be a deterrent to an abdominoplasy, it looks as if your weight may be the problem.  You look as if you have a lot of intra abdominal fat giving you the protruberant abdomen. A tummy tuck removes skin and tightens the abdominal muscles. You need a consulation to see if you are a candidate.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tummy tuck candidates

+1

Age is no barrier to cosmetic body contouring surgery such as Tummy Tuck, as long as you are in good health. Liposuction can be safely done to contour the flank and back simultaneously with Abdominoplasty. I do not simultaneously liposuction the central abdominal area for risk of diminishment of blood supply to the abdominal skin and complications as a result. I use sequential compression devices and sometimes a blood thinner in certain patients to decrease risks for DVT. Early ambulation after surgery is essential, and going upstairs slowly with help, while maintaining a hips-flexed position should be fine. Appearance changes can occur after any surgery if you gain weight, or even as a result of aging. If you maintain your weight, your results should last.

Hayley Brown, MD

Age for a Tummy tuck is not the deciding factor

+1

Your age of 67 does not preclude surgery, your height and weight are reasonable for the surgery. You have not mentioned your general heath nor what medications you are on which are important in the decision making process.  If you have many problems some help from an internist would be needed.

Liposuction at the time of surgery is reasonable in most cases, going up  stairs may be a problem for 3-4 weeks, once removed the tissue does not come back but without a good diet the remaining fat cells can get larger.

To find a good Board certified Plastic Surgeon in western New York you could contact your Primary care doctor or the local medical society.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck in Your 60's

+1

The results from tummy tuck can be very gratifying, but safety will always be the most important consideration.

Being in the 60's does not prevent you from having a tummy tuck, if you are in good health and it is an appropriate operation for you.

A consultation with examination will allow your plastic surgeon to determine if you are a candidate for abdominoplasty or liposuction and which specific technique would be best.

Based upon your health history, your plastic surgeon may require a medical clearance from your primary care physician before proceeding with scheduling a procedure.

At that time, we normally do a venous thrombosis (clot) risk assessment, upon which preventive therapy will be planned.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Age is just a number---usually

+1

Assuming you are otherwise healthy and are found during a personal consultation to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, then your age alone is not something that will stand in your way.  There are many resources that address your common postoperative recovery questions (you can check out drkavali.com/plastic_surgery/tummy_tuck.html).   You can find Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons in your area by going to plasticsurgery.org.  Good luck!

Carmen Kavali, MD