I Had a Tummy Tuck 2 Wks Ago, Will the Skin Smooth out Near my Stretch Marks?

I Had a Tummy Tuck 2 Wks Ago, Will the Skin Smooth out Near my Stretch Marks?  Or will it always be raised and ripply, because I thought that was one of the points of the tuck to smooth the skin tight, I know the stretch marks will be there, but I am hoping they will be flat skin not raised, should i stop worrying since I am early in the healing process?

Stretch marks after tummy tuck

+3

You are very early in your recovery period.  There will be many changes that will occur over the next few weeks to months.  Swelling will still be present two weeks after surgery and this will magnify your stretch marks.  Over time, the stretch marks will flatten and return to their preoperative appearance.  Unfortunately, the only way to remove stretch marks completely is to remove that portion of skin.  Good luck with your recovery!

Swollen stretch marks after surgery is only temporary

+3

You are describing swollen stretch marks perfectly.  Not too worry this swelling is normal and your stretch marks will be flat again in time.  I explain to my patients that stretch mark skin gives very easily so they show swelling more so than normal skin.  Not too worry it should all flatten out because it is only a temporary thing.  Best wishes.

Louise Ferland, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Skin irregularity after tummy tuck

+2

You are very early in the post op period.  It will take several months for the skin to smooth out completely.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Tummy tuck scar

+2

It is way too early to be concerned.  You will be amazed at how much everything will change with time.  You can certainly discuss it with your plastic surgeon for reassurance.  Try to be patient and don't over analyze your results just yet.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Too soon after recovery

+2

Yes, you are too early in the recovery process to worry about this right now.  It takes months for the swelling to subside and I usually say at least 1 year for the scar to mature.  Take it easy during the recovery and follow the instructions of your surgeon.

Irregularities seen 2 weeks following a tummy tuck: too early to judge

+1

Photos would be helpful to better assess your situation. Nevertheless, you are still extremely early in the healing and maturation process at 2 weeks. It can take up to a year or more for full maturation to occur at which time you will be able to accurately assess your situation.

Be patient.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Early tummy tuck

+1

You ask a question that you should discuss with your surgeon. Be patient. The scar from your tummy tuck procedure may take up to 18 months to fully mature but you will certainly notice some soften and improvement over the next several months. 

Richard Linderman, MD