Can I Have a Tummy Tuck Without Muscle Repair?

I am a fit 42 yr old woman with loose upper abdominal skin. I have not had any children and I believe the loose skin is due to liposuction I had about 15 yrs ago. I am interested in getting a TT and I am wondering if it is possible to have it without MR since I have never been pregnant.

Tummy tuck TT with no muscle repair

+1

Yes, if you have not had children and you have not lost a lot of weight, then your abdominal muscles should be quite OK and together and you would not need them tightened during a tummy tuck but just the loose skin removed. Check about my temporary recession price reuction and watch my video.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repairs with tummy tucks

+1

If yo don't need a muscle tightening, there is no need for the surgeon to do one.  Granted that this is rare but if your muscles are great, it is less surgery and recovery without the sutures.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tucks without muscle repair work for abdominal contouring

+1

Not everyone needs abdominal muscle repair.  However it can enhance the waistline for some.  A decision can be made with your plastic surgeon at the time of your consultation after a thorough examination a good decision for you can be reached.  Best wishes.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair with tummy tuck based on individual circumstance

+1

You may not need the muscle repair if you have had no prior pregnancies, but only your surgeon who has examined you can tell if it will be beneficial. By far, most patients having a tummy tuck will get a better result with th muscle repair. However, if they are in good position - not something you can influence with exercise - then it would not be needed. I actually have 2 cases this month without a muscle repair but that is unusual.

Richard Baxter, MD

Muscle repair not necessary with tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

When doing tummy tuck in New York City on women who have not been pregnant, we often do not repair the muscles.  It is not necessary for a flat stomach, and the recovery is quicker.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Muscle Repair or Not?

+1

Certainly there are times when you do not need to repair the diastasis that has occurred between the rectus muscles.  Some women have no widening, and simply benefit form just skin and fat removal/ re-draping.  Others have a weak and bulging abdominal wall, and could benefit from muscle plication.  It just depends on your situation and what your surgeon feels is best for you. I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

+1

Yes, but an in person examination can help determine if a muscle repair is vital to the Skin only tummy tuck. The %'s are very small for doing a skin only tummy tuck, around only 10% of them.

From MIAMI DR. B

Muscle Repair and Tummy Tuck

+1
Tight abdominal muscles are vitally important for a flat tummy. Although pregnancy is a major cause for muscle splitting and stretching, it is not the only cause. Obesity and other factors can cause muscles looseness. If you have muscle looseness, it must be surgically repaired but if you do not, then you do not need the muscle repair along with your tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck and muscle repair

+1

Certainly, it is possible to have a tummy tuck without muscle repair if your muscle is intact. However, if your muscle is not intact and you do not perform the muscle repair, that would not be advisable, in my opinion.