Tummy Tuck With or Without Muscle Repair - Is Muscle Repair with Little Separation Less Pain Than Larger Separation? (photo)

Surgery scheduled with second surgeon for Oct 31st. Frist surgeon said he would not do muscle repair, second surgeon is unsure. Both say very little separation, but I want good results. Also, is muscle repair with little separation less painful than larger separations? Only get two weeks off from work. Thanks!!

The stitches in the abdominal wall repair cause the pain

+1

The major difference in pain is whether you can skip the muscle repair entirely. If you want the abdominal wall totally flat then plication (stitches) in the abdominal wall are needed. The picture is not able to tell us for certain. The examination can help a lot. The photo we cannot tell the difference between fat and abdominal wall. I tell some patients that if it is borderline, they can make the decision. If they want it totally flat then the plication is done. If they want less pain, and dont mind the small amount (provided they only have a small amount of loose skin) of laxity, then skipping the abdominal wall stitches will be less pain and a faster recovery. Make sure you are going to a board certified plastic surgeon. A gynecologist usually does not have the same training and experience that a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons will have. You are skinny enough by the pictures that consideration for a mini tummy tuck or mini with repositioning the umbilicus could have been discussed as options. Sometimes thinner people a full abdominplasty is not possible without a partial vertical or inverted T scar.

Davenport Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck With or Without Muscle Repair - Is Muscle Repair with Little Separation Less Pain Than Larger Separation?

+1

In general, the muscles should be brought to anatomic norms. The smaller the separation, the less tightening required and probably the less discomfort. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://hughesplasticsurgery.com/tummy-tuck-photo-galleries.php

Pain of surgery is directly proportionate to degree of surgical manipulation

+1

More surgery and degree of each surgery determines the degrees of pain associated with it. That being said the surgery is done to fix an issue. Thus the best result from surgery should be the goal, but not overdoing of surgery.

Surgical decisions are best left to your surgeon. Don't tell him what he should do based on your own ideas. Trust your surgeon to do right by you. But take care to find a good one.

Muscle repair during Tummy Tuck

+1

The need for Muscle separation repair accompanying Tummy Tuck can best be determined during the surgery. If it is determined that the separation is significant -then one of the several techniques can be used to repair it. I make this determination during surgery.

Winter Park Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck surgery

+1

My general rule of thumb is that if you do not need a muscle repair then definitely avoid it. I think that any muscle repair is painful. I would trust your surgeon's judgement.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.