I had a full TT 19 days ago,Im now left with a muffin top one side larger then the other..My Doctor said i didnt need Lipo.

Now im unhappy.  will I have to pay another 5000 for lipo or will the doctor take care of that? an if so how long do i have to wait or if a extended tummy tuck was needed why didnt he mention that? an if that has to be done will i have to pay? an do i have to be cut open all the way again thank you so much

Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+3

Tummy tuck can be combined with liposuction to obtain the best result. As you may know, any physician can perform tummy tuck these days.  I hope you doctor is a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Based on the photos, it looks like you may benefit from liposuction of your hips and waistline. However, you may need skin excision. Check with your Plastic surgeon.

In my practice, I usually perform liposuction of the waist line and hips (if necessary) during tummy tuck. The hip is not part of tummy tuck, but can affect the overall result if not contoured with liposuction.

Extended Tummy Tuck

+3

An extended Tummy Tuck is the removal of excess skin and fagt fromt he flanks and upper buttocks, in addition the abdominal skin and fat that is removed during a traditional tummy tuck. An extended Tummy Tuck is often indicated in people who have lost signficant amoutn of weight or whose excess skin extends more than the average person. From your photos, it appears like this is what you need (or needed).  Doing additional liposuction in this area of the flanks and upper buttock will have little improvement because you really need that skin removed.  The scar for an extended tummy tuck is longer than a traditional tummy tuck but is kept low and hidden.  Since you already had a traditional tummy tuck, you may want to consider having it revised at some point.  In terms of charges for this, you will need to discuss this with your original surgeon and find out what his revision policy is. 

Matthew Schulman, MD

Liposuction of love handles enhances result of a tummy tuck

+2

Based on your photos it appears that liposuction of your flanks will improve your outcome and contour. You can discuss this with your plastic surgeon or see a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion. Not all tummy tucks need liposuction, but in your case I feel this will add  to your result. Best wishes

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck and lipo

+2

It looks like from your pinching that the area is loose skin as well and you may need a circumferential surgical excision. It is best to be evaluated in person.

Unhappy 19 days after tummy tuck

+1

You are still very early in the healing process including regarding the swelling. It may take 6 months to a year for this to maximally resolve. What you could be left with at that time is pure conjecture: possibly excess fat on one or both sides and/or lax skin. Though your photos are helpful, only an examination would better determine your issues and then the prudent course of action.

You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon who could better answer some of your specifics. If you still are unsure, obtaining one or more second opinions could be very helpful. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Abdominoplasty revision

+1

It is clear from the photos that there excess fat past the outer ends of the abdominoplasty scar. It is unclear if there is also excess skin or how much excess skin is present. You may not have needed liposuction on the front where the tummy tuck was performed but you certainly need around the back a bit. Your best option is allow sufficient time for recovery (3 or more months) and then have your surgeon do the minor revision surgery. He/she knows you the best and will likely charge you less than another surgeon. The sooner you broach the subject with your surgeon in a non-accusatory or non-confrontational manner the better for everyone. Revisions at the outer ends of TT scars are fairly common.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Tummy tuck with hip liposuction is a great combination

+1

Some surgeons will use liposuction over the hip and flank during a tummy tuck to improve the result and we think it is a great combination. Our office will not charge for liposuction associated with a tummy tuck, though some will, and others will not use liposuction at the same setting as tummy tuck. To avoid disappointment, it is always best to ask.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Further Surgery after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Based on your dissatisfaction with the appearance of the flank and lower back areas,  I think additional surgery may be helpful ( preferably a year after the initial tummy tuck surgery).  The surgery will likely consist of additional skin/ adipose tissue excision ( lipectomy) and liposuction.

At some future date,  you will need to have a calm,  nonaccusatory conversation with your plastic surgeon to discuss your questions and concerns,  including the question of additional expenses.

Muffin Top After Tummy Tuck

+1

What you are grasping with your hand is not your tummy but your flank and upper buttock. These areas are not treated during a tummy tuck and were most likely present before your surgery. Based on your pictures, an excision of this area may be better than liposuction. As for the timing and cost, this should be discussed with your surgeon. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon