Tummy Tuck While Losing Weight?

I'm 5"2" and 209lbs. I have lost about 20 pounds and I will continue losing more. I have a personal trainer and am working to get the weight off. My husband and I are wondering if I would be a good candidate for a Tummy Tuck.

I have had three children and the skin around my stomach just hangs. We know that having a tummy tuck will not cause me to lose weight that I would continue working out but we also thought having one would smooth out the area so that as I lost weight it would look nicer. Please help

Weight vs. Timing of Tummy Tuck

+2

From what you describe, you woud be a good candidate for tummy tuck, but not now.

You shoud attain your target weight or be within about 10# of the weight. The reason is that a tummy tuck will tighten things up. After you lose a lot of weight, things will be loose and a secondary tummy tuck is very difficult to get a good result. Something else to consider is a panniculectomy.

Tummy Tuck While Losing Weight

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. For optimal results, you should be at your long term stable weight prior to proceeding with surgery.

Tummy tuck during weight loss

+1
First, congratulations on your weight loss. Yes, if you plan to lose more weight, you should delay surgery until your weight is stable. An additional weight loss will likely produce increased sagging of the abdomen so, once you have reached and maintained your target weight, you should be an excellent surgical candidate. Your plastic surgeon will then be able to determine whether you should undergo panniculectomy (removal of the hanging skin apron) or if a full abdominoplasty is the appropriate procedure.

Tummy tuck results

+1

Thank you for the question. I think you have a good plan to drop weight to where you want to be long term prior to surgery. This will allow you to achieve the best result possible. It will also minimize  the chances that you will need further surgery (for example if you were to lose weight after the procedure further surgery may be necessary).

You should be aware however that often an “extended” tummy tuck is necessary to treat the muffin top area. This extended tummy tuck procedure involves flank and back skin and adipose tissue excision as well as liposuction surgery. If liposuction alone is done the patient may still end up with the muffin top and require further surgery to improve the waistline in the future.

Make sure you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Best to lose the weight before abdominoplasty

+1

I would advise you to lose the weight first before going through an abdominoplasty/tummy tuck procedure. This procedure is like making a dress and if you want the dress to fit you should be at your expected weight when you see the dressmaker.

With the tummy tuck procedure one of the significant changes that occurs is a result of tightening the abdominal wall and if you have extra weight generally - some of this will be intra-abdominal, making it harder to tighten the abdominal wall.

I like to think of it as packing a suitcase with too many extra sweaters- it is hard to close. However if you lose the sweaters (weight) you can close the suitcase.

If you lose a significant amount of weight after abdominoplasty/tummy tuck surgery, you might find you have some recurrent sagging of skin and abdominal wall laxity. This would require further surgery. Better to lose weight first unless you are willing to have further surgery later.

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck can be done in some cases while losing weight

+1

Surgeons usually say that patients should be at their ideal weight before undergoing body contouring surgery. In my practice, that is not a hard and fast rule. If you are close to your goal weight it is unlikely that losing 10 or 15 pounds after tummy tuck will ruin your postoperative result. Also, if you have separation of your abdominal muscles from your pregnancies, you are probably not getting the full benefit of your workout as your muscles are not in the proper position for most efficient use. Getting the tummy tuck early may help you lose that last bit of weight more easily as you exercise better and have the added benefit of looking and feeling better without that extra loose skin.

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Before Weight Loss

+1

It is always best to lose the weight you are going to lose before having any plastic surgery.  It is recommended that you are at a stable weight for atleast 3 months prior to undergoing any body contouring surgery. 

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-tummy-tuck-newport-beach.php

Tummy Tuck results will be best if you are close to your desired weight

+1

Good job on your weight loss! It would be best to continue your program of sensible diet and exercise and be closer to your preferred weight before having a tummy tuck. You would enjoy the results now, but if have the surgery and then lose a significant amount of additional weight, you will tend to develop some recurrent loose skin. Realistically, if you can't quite lose all the weight you want, then discuss proceeding with your surgery with your surgeon.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck following weight loss

+1

Brali01,

Thanks for the question. Given that you are in the process of losing weight, I would recommend that you continue to do so implementing a sound nutritional and exercise program. Once your ideal weight goal is reached, I would make the effort to maintain it for a couple months before proceeding with an abdominoplasty. Having the procedure performed prior to you reaching your ideal weight will result in the development of additional soft tissue laxity, likely compromising your result and necessitating further procedures to optimize your shape/result. Best of luck in your weight loss pursuit.

Continue losing weight before Tummy Tuck

+1

The easy answer is to continue losing weight until you are in a range of 10 pounds from ideal weight. That is in a perfect world. If after 6 months you have lost another 30 pounds than after a full discussion with your boarded plastic surgeon I would consider doing the surgery. Best of Luck, Merry Merry!