When Do I Know I Have Reached my Goal Weight for a Tummy Tuck?

I have had bariatric surgery and have lost 74lbs, I am down to 136lbs and been at that weight for about 1.5 months. More importantly I am off of my diabetic medications. I am 5'2" and want to have a tummy tuck but because of the extra skin I am not sure where my weight should be. I wast thinking about 125 but I am wondering because I am small in stature should I go lower? Please advise.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

+5

That's a great accomplishment!

When I evaluate post-weight-loss surgery patients for body contouring, it's important to me that their weight has been stable for a few months. If you're still losing a few pounds each month, you're not yet ready for contouring surgery. On average, most people plateau in their weight loss around 18 months after bariatric surgery. Of course, since that's an average, there are people who plateau sooner than that.

Some of your remaining weight may actually be from the extra skin you have. If you have a tummy tuck, it will remove weight associated with that extra skin, and you may find that you're at the weight you thought you should be.

You can go ahead and have a few consultations to determine which surgeon you ultimately want to do your contouring. They should tell you whether you're ready now or whether there are reasons you should wait.

Look at lifestyle, not weight

+3

Fitness and weight and fat content are not strictly related to each other. Studies have shown that fitness is more important than weight or body fat. This is even more true for body conrouting procedures. The most important thing is to have a healthy, stable lifestyle. You should have a reasonable, enjoyable and sustainable diet and exercise or activity program. Each individual needs to be assessed within the context of his or her own situation. You should be stable for at least 6 months before determining if you are a candidate for any body-contouring procedure.

At this point, you should consult carefully and thoroughly with a plastic surgeon to see the anatomical make-up and constraints you have, and also what result you will be happy with. Your surgery can then be tailored to your individual anatomy and desires. Not all patients however, even having achieved a healthy and stable lifestyle, will be candidates for surgery. Some problems do not have reasonable or acceptable surgical solutions.Any surgical plan should be customized to your particular situation.

Right weight for tummy tuck

+1

Post-bariatric patients should maintain their weight for 3 to 6 months before undergoing cosmetic surgery, and they should also be close to their ideal weight. You are within about 10 pounds of your goal weight, which is appropriate for surgery. However, I would suggest that you wait a few more months to make sure that your weight is stable. Then, meet with a qualified plastic surgeon to determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure. Good luck!

San Ramon Plastic Surgeon

Maintain stable weight for 3-6 months before a tummy tuck

+1

Patients have a more successful and longer-lasting result after tummy tuck surgery one of surgeries performed at their target and stable weight.

For bariatric surgery patients, I recommend that they maintain their target weight for at least 3 to 6 months before considering an abdominoplasty.

In my bariatric patients, I always recommend that they receive a full medical workup to ensure that they have no active medical issues and that their nutrition and diet has been optimized.

Have the abdominoplasty when you've reached weight-loss goals

+1

Congratultions on this wonderful accomplishment. If you are now happy with your weight, you should have the abdominoplasty. If your plan is to lose more weight, do that first. But at this point there is no reason to lose more weight just to have the surgery.

Abington Plastic Surgeon

Ideal weight after bariatric surgery

+1

The ideal weight for each individual will vary. It sounds like you are either there or almost there. If you are not really losing any weight anymore and it has been relatively stable then you can go ahead witha  procedure.

Ideal weight and BMI = GREAT Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Congratulations. You have a BMI of 24.87 kg/m sq!

The best tummy tuck results are seen with BMI's of 22 - 27 and you are ALREADY there. The only problem I have is the 1.5 month period. Had you told us your present weight was stable at this level for 6 months, I would have agreed it was time to proceed with the operation. According to my calculator, your ideal weight may be 110.5 pounds. At the rate you are going, you may actually reach it in 4-5 months.

I think you should weight until your weight stabilizes for 6 months before undergoing a Tummy Tuck. Doing so, will assure both of us that you do not end up with loose skin caused by further weight loss after an early tummy tuck.

Be patient. The time will go by fast and you will look great!

Dr. P. Aldea

Proper weight for a tummy tuck

+1

As long as you are within 10-20 pounds of your proper goal weight it is okay to have a tummy tuck. The key is to not need to lose 20-30 pounds after surgery as this can cause you to look loose and lax again. This is especially true if your upper abdomen has thinned out completely and the excess resides mostly in the lower abdomen. If that isn't the case, lose a few more pounds to thin out the upper abdomen.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Ideal weight

+1

After gastric bypass and weight loss, you need to be stable for few months with no more loss.

• you are 5' 2", at a weight of 130 lb your BMI will be 23.8
  • Normal BMI is 18-24.9
  • So you are around your normal BMI. If you have stabilized and not loosing any more.

If you are healthy. no malnutrition, No anemia no low Calcium and your physical exam and blood work is normal, then you are ready for surgery.

You need to consult a Board Certified PS for complete examination and discuss your options alternatives and risks.

Good Luck

Tummy tuck following massive weight loss.

+1

Technically, Ideal body weight for a 5'2" female should be about 115 pounds with a range from 105 to 130. So 125 is a reasonable goal. I would consult with a plastic surgeon now.

Ideally, you should allow 4 months of a stable weight to allow for full skin contraction. However, this is not a hard and fixed number and subject to interpretation. IT obviously will take some time to plan the procedure.

Do not be discouraged if the plastic surgeon recommends more than a tummy tuck (extended or belt lipectomy).

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/tummy.html