Tummy Tuck Weight Loss

How much weight loss can a tummy tuck give me?

Average weight loss with a tummy tuck [With Video]

+2

It's really variable, and it all depends on how much skin and fat we're going to remove. The fat that we actually remove actually weighs a lot less than you'd think, because the fat, even though it takes up a lot of space, doesn't actually weigh that much.

Although we've taken off skin and fat that has weighed up to 10-12lbs, usually for the average patient it will be more in the 2-3lb range. But, that 2-3lbs will make a tremendous visual difference once it's taken off. 

Tummy Tuck Weight Loss

+1

The goal of the tummy tuck surgery is not weight loss. You may lose a few pounds of excess skin. To verify what you can expect, you will need to consult and be examined by 3 -4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Weight loss through Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

Depending on your anatomy, you might lose a few pounds...

It is very important to understand, however, that an abdominoplasty should not be thought of as a weight loss operation, but rather a body contouring procedure.

In other words, your shape will be improved, your clothes may fit better, and you will probably look better in them, but you should necessarily expect that you will be wearing smaller sizes or be seeing a much smaller number on the scale.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1

Tummy-tuck surgery (abdominoplasty) usually results in weight loss of anywhere from two to six pounds. In patients who reqire signifigant abdominal weight reduction, it is better to delay tummy tuck surgery until after most of the weight has come off with diet and exercise. The surgery does not involve entering the abdominal cavity, therefore fat surrounding the internal organs cannot be removed.

Most of my patients who have undergone successful tummy tuck surgery have had presurgical skin excess due to either childbirth, weight loss, gastric bypass surgery, or hysterectomy. The heavier the patient, the more risk of complications, therefore it is better to delay surgery if signifigant weight loss is neccessary.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks are done because of weight loss, not in an attempt to lose weight

+1

I think the best way to answer this is that a tummy tuck isn't a means of weight loss. It isn't done to lose weight. It is done because of weight loss.

The specimen usually weighs between 2 and 20 lbs. The weight will depend on how thick the layer of fat is under your skin below your belly button as well as how long your scar will be.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

A tummy tuck tightens skin and muscle. It is not a big weight loss procedure

+1

A tummy tuck removes stretched out belly skin and tightens the muscles of the belly wall. The skin and fat removed does weigh something, but most of the improvement you get from the surgery is seen in the shape of the belly, not measured in the weight lost. I have removed as little as 1/2 lb as much as 2 lbs, but patients generally do not see this difference when they weigh themselves after surgery.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss following tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are not a weight loss procedure. The ideal candidate is a patient at or close to normal weight. In these patients there will be minimal weight loss. The complication rate rises significantly with each point the BMI exceeds 25.

John Whitt, MD

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1

Tummy tuck surgery really isn't done to help patients lose weight; you should ideally be at your target weight prior to surgery.  However, the weight of the tissue taken off is usually 2-3 lbs.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

Obviously the answer is depended on each individual patient's situation. Some tummy tucks involve more muscle reconstruction that fat or skin removal and some tummy tucks are predominantly soft tissue resection. Tummy tucks are mainly considered body-contouring, not weight loss, procedures and one's weight should be quite stable before tummy tucks are contemplated otherwise the wrong type of tummy tuck can be performed at the wrong time on the wrong patient.

The results may also may not be predictable in the long-run. The exception to this may be a patient with a large panniculus or apron of skin and fat that prevents them from achieve or initiating weight loss. In this case, a panniculectomy, generally a simpler and less extensive form of tummy tuck, can be contemplated to "kick-start" the weight loss program.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tucks for weight loss

+1

In training I can remember a panniculectomy specimen of 25 pounds. The panniculectomy (similar to a tummy tuck operation) was done for hygiene issues prior to a weight loss procedure. I think that was most I have ever been a part of.

In general, weight loss following abdominoplasty really depends upon the size of the pannus (redundant skin below the belly button). Most abdominoplasty specimens only a pound or two. Abdominoplasty is more of contouring operation and usually does not affect your weight as much as you might think.

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon