Is Weight Gain After Tummy Tuck from Swelling?

I had a Tummy Tuck almost 2 months ago and I am almost 2 stones heavier since then. I also can't wear clothes that fitted me before the procedure. Is this weight gain due to post-op swelling?

May just be swelling, but be honest with yourself...

+2

Although there certainly is some swelling that can persist after tummy tucks, it is largely resolved within about 6 weeks after surgery. However, I don't tell people to expect their final result for 3 months after surgery. I practice in Columbus, Ohio and unfortunately don't know how much a "stone" weighs -- a couple kilos I suppose. Be honest with yourself and make sure you haven't gained weight since surgery (less activity, not eating the same -- we all get a little lazy after surgery). Things should normalize in the next month or so. Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after tummy tuck can be fluid retention

+1

It is very common to gain weight after tummy tuck surgery in the first few days. The intravenous fluids given during surgery add to your weight. However, I would expect all of the extra fluid to be gone after a few weeks.

Many patients gain weight after any type of surgery. This is a normal body response to the trauma of surgery. The surgery and healing stimulates the brain and body to eat more to add protein needed for wound healing. You have to be careful and aware to avoid this if you gain too much weight.

A careful diet and exercise will help the latter.

The clothes not fitting problem is common. The tummy tuck pulls the abdomen forward and down and the waist area is widened as your tummy is flexed forward and down. This will improve as your posture improves with time.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty/