Post-op Tummy Tuck Seroma - How is It Sutured?

I had a tummy tuck six weeks ago and at 3 wks post op I developed a seroma in the upper ab. Since then I have had a drain inserted for one week, 4 aspirations (less than 10 cc's each time), and have a penrose drain in now which is not pulling any fluid. I was informed that it might need to be sutured or removed. How can a seroma be sutured?

Seroma treatment has many options

+1

A seroma following a tummy-tuck is a common but troubling situation for most patients.   Small seromas can usually be treated by simple removal of the fluid with a syringe in the doctor’s office.  Larger seromas may require multiple aspirations (removal by syringe) until the space where the fluid is collecting heals.   The reason sermoas develop is because there is a space between the muscle and overlying fat created during surgery.  Some surgeons suture this space closed during the original procedure with quilting sutures.  Many surgeons don’t use this technique but might consider it if a seroma becomes chronic and doesn’t respond to repeated aspirations.   This would require reopening the abdominal incision and placing quilting sutures to  close off the seroma cavity or space.  Usually prolonged drainage and compression will eliminate the need to re-operate on the seroma, but each case is unique.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Suturing a seroma: options for treating chronic tummy tuck seroma or fluid collection

+1

Depending on the findings on exploration, there are a variety of approaches to a chronic seroma which include a simple evacuation and/or quitling sutures and/or drain and/or pseudobursa lining removal and/or sclerosant. In some cases, all or none of these approaches may be used.