Stitch from Muscle Repair Has Surfaced

I had a tummy tuck 7 weeks ago with a very large diastasis repair. my doctor used non dissolvable stitches to repair the diastasis. One of the stiches is poking out and not only do you see it but it is extremely sensitive to the touch. If my daughter hits it with her foot I see stars. I do not think I can live with it. Can it be removed and if so, how? In addition I feel still feel a lot of pain around my center where the diastasis was fixed- its like a burning and sharp pain. Could that be a reaction to the stitches?

Tummy Tuck Muscle Repair Suture Surfaced?

+1

Unfortunately, what you have experienced can occur occasionally after tummy tuck surgery. The sutures used for muscle plication are either permanent sutures or long-lasting absorbable sutures. Either way, the sutures can come to the surface and cause issues such as  open wounds/inflammation/drainage...

If this does occur, the sutures must be removed.  If it is a single suture this can usually be done in the office under local anesthesia.  if the entire row of sutures are involved,  more anesthesia may be helpful/necessary.

Suture from Muscle repair is exposed and Hurting

+1

I agree with the other comment completely.  This could be something easy to solve by removing the suture and providing some local wound care until it heals, however, I would definately make an appointment to see your surgeon and have him/her deal with it in the office. In the meantime, keep it clean and covered with a bandage and antibiotic ointment.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Protruding stitch following tummy tuck

+1

You are better off asking your surgeon rather than this message board. There are many technical factors which will help to answer the question. IF it is a single running stitch, removing it could undo your muscle repair. IF you have multiple interrupted stitches, removing the stitch may be a simple solution to the problem.