I Had a Tummy Tuck 5 Weeks Ago and Am So Scared That These Holes Will Never Heal from Necrosis

After a few days the doctor said that the 3 black spots were necrosis. At around 3 weeks the spots turned to black scabs and at 4 weeks it turned to soft almost grren looking tissue. My surgeon opened up the areas and drained the blood. I am at week 5 and have 2 large holes above my incision. Every few days he is cutting dead tissue. I am worried for my health. I have to pack the holes 4 times a day after soaking. I am 30 and never smoked. I am scared and wonder if anybody has been through this?

Wound Healing After Tummy Tuck

+2

Based on your description, you are experiencing wound healing problems that sometimes do happen after tummy tuck surgery.  Is is important that you are being followed closely by your plastic surgeon.  If your plastic surgeon is a well experienced, board certified plastic surgeon, then I believe you should be fine.  If you are still unsure, it may be best to seek a second opinion by a surgeon in your area to get reassurance - this will be better than an online consultation.

+1

Unfortunately, it is one of the potential risks and complications of abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) surgery.  There is probably not a plastic surgeon in the world who has not experienced this at least once during his/her career, and I’m very sorry that you are one of those few patients who have this complication.  It sounds to me that your surgeon is doing exactly the right thing, and once the areas are healed, your surgeon will most likely suggest some type of revision surgery. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon