I Had a Tummy Tuck 7 Weeks Ago, with Lipo and Muscle Repair. BB Is Leaking Fluid, Is This Normal? (photo)

New navel still leaking light yellow fluid and rock hard masses reaching from hip to hip, very reddish blue and painful. Was in a size 3 jean 9 days ago, now in size 7. Was tight, but now quite a bit of sagging skin all over abdomen & hips. My plastic surgeon tells me this is normal...? I'm in a lot of pain now, more so than right after surgery. Is this really normal?

Photos added 12/16/11

+3

Your photographic history is demonstrating an infection/cellulitis complication. Fluid draining is a sign of continuing infection/hematoma/seroma. Seek additional or urgent medical care.

Significant issues to be concerned about regarding tummy tuck

+2

Thanks for the photos which do help in answering your question. Given the appearance and being at 7 weeks, your situation is not normal and does need medical attention. A physical examination would better determine all your issues but it does appear that you do have vascular compromise of the tissues which means the blood supply does not appear adequate and these seems to be some loss of tissue. Whether you have an infection, accumulation of fluid or blood can't be clearly ascertained.

You need to see your plastic surgeon ASAP. With the information that you provided, you may also want to seek a second opinion about what exactly is going on.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy Tuck Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although not possible to give you a accurate diagnosis with out examining you,  You should be aware that you are experiencing a complication  after the tummy tuck surgery. In other words, this is not “normal”.

Differential diagnosis includes compromise blood flow/ tissue necrosis/ secondary infection... you should be followed by your plastic surgeon very closely;   if the involved area is or becomes infected this will be a very serious complication.

7 weeks post abdominoplasty

+2

Based upon your description, it sound slike you need to see your doctor to be evaluated.  If you have fluid leaking you may have an infection, a seroma, or fat necrosis, to name a few.

Tummy tuck and abdominal hardness and belly button drainage.

+1

Hi...You have a vascular comprimise with the redraped tissue and with the hardness, this would indicate most likely fat necrosis (fat cells losing their vascularity and the tissue turning hard) or a hematoma pressure necrosis..  It looks very angry and I would think that it will go on to have further deterioration.  You need to make sure that you are followed very closely and that what seems to be a secondary infection/cellulitis is treated.  In my practice, I would consider that you need to get this straightened out immediately and not let this  process get worse.  You are not a wait and see case.  You need to have this area opened and properly debrided and drained. 

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Redness and leaking fluid after TT, 7 weeks

+1

The photographs that you have provided along with a history indicate that your condition is not normal.  You should seek urgent medical attention.  Speak with your plastic surgeon and relate your concerns immediately.

Raj S. Ambay, MD