Pregnant After a Tummy Tuck 4 Weeks Ago

And when I went in to get my breast done (yesterday May 10th 2010), right before the surgery they do a urine test and three tests came back positive. I don't think it would be safe for me to carry, I get really big when I am pregnant, and very early as well. I don't know what to do. Will I be ok to carry?

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

+1
Thank you for your post. You certainly can have a baby after tummy tuck. In a tummy tuck, we are putting your body back together similiar to what you were like before you were pregnant. Your muscle tension, your skin and your fat contours are adjusted. Once you are fully healed from your surgery, your body is just as able to accept a pregnancy as it was before your first pregnancy. However, if your belly area stretched after your first pregnancy, then you are likely to stretch again after your next pregnancy. Most surgeons recommend to have a tummy tuck after you are finished having childern, however, in certain instances, such as starting to date again, or just not being happy with your post pregnancy body, then it makes sense to go ahead and have a tummy tuck. Just realize that you may need a revision later on.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pregnant once again.

+1

I have had several patients become pregnant following an Abdominoplasty.  They all experienced normal pregnancies and deliveries.  Best of luck with your new child.  The body contouring can always be redone at a later date.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Pregnant after a tummy tuck 4 weeks ago

+1

Very hard question to answer especially over the internet! I would seek GYN/PS answers in person. Not here on the open forum.

Best of Luck Dr. B from MIAMI 

Pregnancy a month after a Tummy Tuck

+1

As I understand your question, you had a tummy Tuck a month ago and on the morning of an elective breast surgery yesterday, your pre-surgical urine test came back saying you were pregnant.

The question of completing your pregnancy or not is an ethical one more than a medical one. I would advise you to see your Obstetrician and get a blood pregnancy test which is more sensitive than the urine test.  Had you been pregnant for your Tummy Tuck, the urine test would have picked it up at that time and I doubt you were taking any medicines that could influence your baby but your OB could much better advise you on it.

Personally, I think babies are wonderful and fulfill us as human beings. You have a limited time to have babies and I would take advantage of it. Any changes caused by pregnancy can be readily fixed and made better by a good plastic surgeon.

Pregnancy following tummy tuck is possible

+1

It is generally recommended that you finish all pregnancies prior to a tummy tuck but with that being said there is no reason that it would make your pregnancy unsafe.  The gradual stretch of the abdominal wall allows for normal growth of the baby.  I had a patient get pregnant shortly after a tummy tuck and after she was all delivered we compared all of the photos and she still had some correction from the surgery.

Best Wishes.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy Shortly after Tummy Tuck

+1

While it is a bit unusual to test positive for pregnancy 4 weeks after a tummy tuck, there probably will not be a problem with carrying your pregnancy to term.  My main concern would be whether or not you were pregnant when you underwent your tummy tuck.  Either way, you most definitely should consult with your obstretician about this situation.

John Whitt, MD

Pregnant after tummy tuck

+1

This is not an uncommon occurrence. I believe you will be able to proceed with your pregnancy without problems, but suggest you discuss with your doctor. Good luck.

Dean Fardo, MD