I Had a Tummy Tuck a Week Ago and my Scar Seems High to Me. Will It Go Down in Time?

I also use to have a 4 pack before the surgery now i just look fat with big red scar. I am depressed. Will i be able to get my packs back in time? Will my scar go down even a little?

Anchoring sutures

+1
Thank you for your post. It is not common for surgeons to anchor the lower incision to the fascia or covering of the abdominal muscles to keep the scar low, however, I do use this technique and agree with it. All the tension on the incision is from above, not below, and thus the scar tends to move toward the area of maximal tension (towards the ribs/bellybutton). This moves the scar higher than desired. I like to keep my scars very low, and feel that anchoring the scar helps accomplish this. The following photo is an example of this.

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Scar position after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tuck scars have a tendency to migrate upward, not downward.  You might find it move further up, but it is almost certain that it would not migrate downward.

This is one of the big issues with tummy tucks which is why at our clinic we put great emphasis at keeping the scar as low as possible, and ensuring that it does not migrate up after the surgery.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

High positioned tummy tuck scar - will it descend?

+1

From what you say it sounds like you are very early on after your tummy tuck surgery, so you may still have a fair amount of post-operative swelling - therefore please don't get depressed about that. You will not really be able to assess your final result until at least 3-weeks post-op. 

With regard to your scar, it is unlikely to move - it usually stays where it is from the time of surgery.

The redness of your scar is completely normal - all scars go through a phase of being red and lumpy before they mature into soft and thin white lines.

I hope this is of some help.

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon