I Had a Tummy Tuck a Week Ago and my Scar Seems High to Me. Will It Go Down in Time?

I also use to have a 4 pack before the surgery now i just look fat with big red scar. I am depressed. Will i be able to get my packs back in time? Will my scar go down even a little?

Scar position after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tuck scars have a tendency to migrate upward, not downward.  You might find it move further up, but it is almost certain that it would not migrate downward.

This is one of the big issues with tummy tucks which is why at our clinic we put great emphasis at keeping the scar as low as possible, and ensuring that it does not migrate up after the surgery.  

High positioned tummy tuck scar - will it descend?

+1

From what you say it sounds like you are very early on after your tummy tuck surgery, so you may still have a fair amount of post-operative swelling - therefore please don't get depressed about that. You will not really be able to assess your final result until at least 3-weeks post-op. 

With regard to your scar, it is unlikely to move - it usually stays where it is from the time of surgery.

The redness of your scar is completely normal - all scars go through a phase of being red and lumpy before they mature into soft and thin white lines.

I hope this is of some help.

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon