Tummy Tuck w/ Upper Hip Lipo vs. Tummy Tuck w/ No Lipo - Differences in Results?

TT with or w/o lipo

+2

Some patients are very thin and only have some extra skin.  Those patients have no excess fat and their muscles are in the right place but the skin has been stretched severely.  I've seen plenty of those cases and there's nothing to lipo.  It really depends on what you look like prior to surgery and what your goals are.  Good luck!

Tummy tuck with our without liposuction?

+1

I don't believe I have ever done an abdominoplasty without at least a small amount of liposuction in over twenty years of practice. Even in the thinnest of patients a bit of liposuction allows us to eliminate dog-ears without overextending the incision.

The advent of liposuction has allowed us to greatly refine our tummy tuck results.

In my practice the liposuction of the abdomen itself is considered an integral part of the operation and is not billed separately.

In this way I do not ask patients to choose between a less expensive but inferior operation, and a costlier but better one.

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

To lipo or not to lipo?

+1

It all depends on your anatomy and goals.  If you do have some excess fat in the waist and/or upper hips, it is very common for plastic surgeons to liposuction these areas at the time of a tummy tuck.  The adjunctive liposuction in these areas help fine tune the waist and give you additional contour.  Talk to your board certified plastic surgeon to explore your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Flank and hip liposuction generally improves TT results

+1

Liposuction of the flanks and hip region drastically improves the results of a tummy tuck- most of our patients opt for this option when shown photos of patients that have chosen this combination.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Liposuction with Abdominoplasty

+1

An abdominoplasty can be done with or without liposuction.  An abdominoplasty can be a significant operation on anyone that is over the age of 40.  Therefore, I am usually somewhat conservative about adding additional aggressive liposuction at the same time as an abdominoplasty.  However, liposuction of the hip area often adds the the improvement of the result and is very worthwhile to consider at the same time.  Liposuction of the hips is considered relatively "safe" since it does not typically adversely affect the healing of the abdominoplasty.  Therefore, while it is usually best to be cautious about excessive liposuction at the same time as an abdominoplasty, liposuction of the hips is relatively safe and can really make a nice difference in the results.  I would definitely ask your plastic surgeon for their advice.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Michael Vincent, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

Many patients often hesitate to have liposuction to the hips/flanks or even upper abdomen while having a tummy tuck.  This is mostly due to the additional cost.  However, to achieve the a truly refined contour and remove the excess lower abdominal skin it is often needed.  Having done patients who insist on not having any additional lipo, I can say that they are not nearly as happy with the result as are the patients that did and often return to complete the proposed procedure.  Trust your PS, these are not necessarily "add ons" as they are refinements of a technique that yield the best results.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck With or Without Liposuction of the Back and Hips - When and Why

+1

To get the BEST possible results you and your surgeon need to address all areas which affect your appearance. A Tummy Tuck will flatten the Tummy and narrow the waist (by bringing the muscles together) but it will not address fat deposits on the hips because the pelvic bones under the hips do NOT move in with muscle tightening. As a result, as the waist becomes narrower with tummy tuck tightening, the hips fat deposits will NOT change but WILL APPEAR larger. As a result, women who do not have significant fat deposits do not benefit from Liposuction of the lower back and hips BUT those who do have these deposits will look a LOT better if these areas are liposuctioned at the same time as a Tummy Tuck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Hip Liposuction Can Improve The Waistline Effects From A Tummy Tuck

+1

Many tummy tuck patients do benefit from hip (muffin top) liposuction done at the same time to get the best waistline contouring. A tummy tuck is basically a 180 degree procedure that just changes the shape of the abdomen in the front. (out to the points on the hip bones) For those with muffin tops or hip rolls, liposuction can really make a big difference and make a 180 degree result into a 270 degree waistline change. Occasionally, I will see a tummy tuck patient who does not need it but most do. Its need in your case would depend, of course, on your own hip and flank anatomy.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Tummy tuck with/without lipo

+1

The tummy tuck is no different whether you do lipo or not on the flanks or hips.  The central part looks the same.  The only reason to do the extra lipo is if you have extra fat on the sides (Muffin top).  About 10-20% of my patients do that.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck With or Without Lipo

+1

In my practice whether or not liposuction is carried out on the upper hips at the time of a tummy tuck is dictated by the individual patient.  Some patients will benefit while others do not need this ancillary procedure.  I usually do not find it necessary in very thin patients who siply have a good bit of excess skin.

John Whitt, MD