Mini Tummy Tuck w/ No Drains

I'm planning on having a mini tuck and my PS explained that he doesnt use drains. He wants me to visit him once a week for drainage. Is this common??

Mini Tummy Tuck w/ No Drains

+2

I recommend that you not be too worried about exactly how your plastic surgeon does his or her procedures.

One of the many fascinating things about plastic surgery is that reputable surgeons can differ greatly in how they do their operations. This can be confusing to the patient who may receive different opinions from different surgeons.

Your most important job is to select a surgeon who is experienced, confident and kind.

Take advantage of any available resources to find that person including word-of-mouth, internet content and, if possible, anyone you know who works in an operating room.

Good luck!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

21. is gone and after a couple of days, we can remove the drain.  We remove when output is less than 20cc/24 hours for two days consecutively.  No drain leaves a chance for fluid accumulation and a need for a needle stick to aspirate the fluid, never a popular procedure.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and drains

+1

Different plastic surgeons utilize different techniques and may differ whether they feel the drains are or aren't necessary. Personally, I think the use of drains would be more common than planning weekly aspirations. Communicate any questions or concerns with your surgeon prior to surgery so that you feel more comfortable. Best wishes.

Do mini Tummy Tucks require drains?

+1

Depending on the size of the mini tummy tuck or mini abdominoplasty, the surgery may or may not require the placement of drains

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Drains are common after a tummy tuck

+1

After a standard tummy tuck, drains are frequently used.  However, a mini-tummy tuck involves removal of less skin so drains may or may not be required.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Drains are not a big deal in tummy tucks

+1

I am amazed by what an issue the patients are making about drains in regards to a tummy tuck.  I personally use only one and it is no wider than a piece of spaghetti and comes out with no pain at all.  It is there to help the healing and to prevent fluid collections that can slow healing.  

The last thing a patient or group of patients should do is to try to decide on where to have surgery based on something like using or not using a drain.  Let the surgeon do what thy believe is best for you.  I can guarantee you that those who don't use drains have more fluid problems than those who do.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Scheduled drainage?

+1

I have not seen a surgeon use a scheduled needle drainage technique as opposed to placing drains at surgery. With a mini tummy tuck drains are usually only in for a short while. It might work. Ask your surgeon what his experience is with this technique.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Look at results from tummy tucks

+1

Like others have said, the specific technique is not as important as the experience of your surgeon.  It's perfectly accetable to use or not use drains.  Personally, I have not used drains in tummy tuck surgery for over 15 years, but have also incorporated internal suturing techniques for avoiding fluid collections which I feel have helped improve the overall results.  With these techniques I have not had any problems with fluid collections.  Should someone not use these other techniques however, they most certainly would have problems without drains.

Mario Loomis, MD
Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Drains after a mini-tummy tuck (mini-abdominoplasty)

+1

While each procedure has a general way it is approached, the nuances between individual surgeons can be great and do not affect outcome.  While the internet has been great in helping to educate patients regarding procedures, this is a perfect example of where there is just too much information.  You should be concerned with greater issues such as the experience level of your surgeon, are you comfortable with them, do you like the way their patients look in before and after photos????   

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Drains are used by most plastic surgeons for mini-tummy tucks

+1

As you have read, there is a diversity of answers which shows that there can be more than one way to do something which works. Some plastic surgeons do perform a mini-tummy tuck without a drain and may not have an increased rate of fluid accumulation called a seroma. However, if they rely on repeated aspiration of fluid from the cavity as the expected treatment - this is not ideal or truly appropriate.

Personally, I place a drain in all my mini-tummy tucks as I find it effective in minimizing the risk of this accumulation of fluid. Most plastic surgeons do follow this approach.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD