Tummy Tuck W/Breast Augmentation? Hang over and extra skin, my breasts are deflated now

3 babies in 3 years and I have lost nearly 100 lbs through clean eating and 5-6x/wk exercise. I am COMPLETELY frustrated though as my results on my tummy are not what I expected to see. I have hang over and extra skin, my breasts are deflated now. I had a consult and the doctor was very helpful suggested a Full Tummy Tuck w/BA and a lift. He believed he could do them all in one surgery. Is this common? I am worried about recovery time and getting back into the gym for my workouts? Thanks!!

Mommy Makeover- breast implant/lift surgery and tummy tuck

+2

For healthy patients who require both a breast lift and implants and a tummy tuck, these are usually done at the same time provided an experienced surgeon is doing the procedures who can do the surgery quickly.  Excessive time in surgery is not advisable. 

As with any combined surgery, there is a theoretical risk to combining procedures.  However, if board certified surgeons operate in accredited facilities with board certified anesthesiologists, the complication rate should be very low.

Also, every patient is different.  A heavyset sedentary 45-year old might not be able to have the procedure safely, while the same patient who exercises and is good health might.

Patients who are in fantastic shape and healthy are a dream for the plastic surgeon to operate on!

Tummy tuck w/ breast augmentation? Hang over and extra skin, my breasts are deflated now.

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! These procedures can be effectively and safely performed in one setting. The breasts and tummy tuck are commonly performed together, often referred to as the "mommy makeover". If you are healthy and your surgeon decides that s/he could perform the procedures in a safe time for you, these procedures certainly can be done in one stage. Staging the procedures to have them performed at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time.

It is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. I would consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in these procedures and discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are as well as have an examination. Your safety is ultimately the most important factor and is always on the mind of your surgeon when making such decisions. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Mommy Makeover is very common

+1
Hi. Mommy makeovers with the combination of augmentation/lift and tummy tuck are very common. You will need a month off your gym workouts, but you will get a dramatic improvement in your appearance. Regards Dr Charles Cope

Charles Cope, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck W/Breast Augmentation?

+1

The problems you mention with deflated breasts and loose tummy skin are the common complaints we see in patients seeking a mommy makeover with tummy tuck and breast implants done at the same time. Since both procedures involve surgery on muscles the post operative pain can be a bit tough for the first 3-4 days. For several years we have used pain pumps on tummys and breasts which dramatically reduce the pain and the amount of narcotics needde so the patients can feel clear headed. We can control the pain quite well but have no control on how fast your tissues heal. I have my patients wait 3-4 weeks before things like a treadmill or elliptical exercisor and 6-8 weeks before resistance exercises with machines and free weights.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mommy makeover

+1

Thank you for the  question and picture.  You should be congratulated on achieving what you have achieved through diet and exercise after pregnancy. You are an ideal candidate for breast augmentation/breast lifting and tummy tuck surgery ( mommy makeover).  Unless there is a contraindication in your history, physical, or lab work this should be very safely accomplished in one operation (assuming you're working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon).

I have a few words of advice as you plan for your surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful. 

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Recovery time after mommy makeover

+1

Congratulations on your hard work to get into shape.  One thing to remember is that we cannot excercise our skin.  So despite loosing fat and building muscle the skin that has lost its elasticity will not improve without being tightened surgically.  The combination of breast aug, breast lift, and tummy tuck sounds appropriate for the type of body changes you describe.  They can be performed seperately or at the same time.  Your recovery time and restraint from excercise will largely be dertermined by your tummy tuck which is anywhere from 4-6 weeks.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Mommy makeover is very safe.

+1

HI.

Tummy tuck and breast surgery is a very common combination, and you look very fit.

Just looking at your picture though, I am not sure you really need a tummy tuck.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Recovery from a mommy makeover

+1

I would recommend waiting 2 weeks after a breast aug with a lift and a tummy tuck before returning back to the gym.  When you do go back, start out slowly and avoid any heavy lifitng for 6 weeks.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Mommy makeover recovery and safety

+1

What you describe, breast lift and tummy tuck , is a mommy make over.  Yes it is quite safe and a common double procedure.  Full recovery is approximately six to eight weeks.  Back to work, non-weight bearing, is seven to ten days.  Your picture leads me to believe that you would be a good candidate.

Wishing you all the best,

Tal Raine MD,  Elmhurst, IL

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Tummy tuck and Breast augmentation

+1

It is very common to get Tummy tuck and breast surgery (augmentation or augmentation/lift) at the same time.  It seems like you are healthy; so 5-6 hour surgery should not be physically stressful to your body.  As long as your plastic surgeon believes you to be a good candidate (physically and cosmetically), you should be good to go.  There are definite advantages to having combo surgery: one recovery time and cheaper overall OR and anesthesia fee.  In terms of exercising, you will need to wait about 6 weeks prior to resuming to your full exercise routine.  Be patient.  It will be worth it.

Sugene Kim, MD