Can a tummy tuck, upper/lower eyelid, facelift and neck lift with chin implant be done at the same time?

I am in great health. 145 lbs. having tummy tuck to get rid of old c-section flap of skin. I am 50 years old. Nervous about having all this work done at one time. Is it safe?

Combination of procedures at the same time

+2
Combining cosmetic plastic surgery procedures is not uncommon. Whether you are a reasonable candidate for those procedures depends on your anatomy, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. Many surgeons would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be appropriately monitored. Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective.

Having said all of that, many ethical well trained plastic surgeons would feel that the combination you are asking about is excessive and has significant risks factors if performed in one stage.

Keep in mind that following the advice of any surgeon on this or any other web site who proposes to tell you what to do without: examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, and taking a full medical history, as well as discussing the pros and cons of each operative option would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by The American Board of
Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with, and discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. That way, you can have a better idea what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Before proceeding with a combination of these procedures, you should have medical clearance from your primary care physician and a discussion between him or her and your plastic surgeon.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Facial Procedures Combined with Body Contouring

+1
The direct answer to your question is sure it can but I would not recommend it.  Facelift and tummy tuck are major operations that can have tough recovery periods.  I tend to perform multiple surgeries in the same geographic (anatomic) region.  

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Combining facial plastic surgery with a tummy tuck

+1
Combining cosmetic surgery on multiple areas is possible, but the risk of complications increases with the longer amount of time spent under anesthesia.  The time also varies with the surgeon's experience.  Some surgeons can perform a facelift (rhytidectomy) in about 2 hours, while other may take 3-5 hours.  Combine that with an upper/lower blepharoplasty, then an abdominoplasty, and that creeps up to 4-6 hours easily.  Ask your surgeon for a realistic time estimate based on their experience.  My preference would be to consider breaking it into two parts within several days of each other to combine the recovery period, but it would likely cost a little more.  

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Procedures

+1
The list of procedures you are considering is extensive and although could possibly be performed in a single surgery , there is at least some evidence that combing multiple procedures including facial and body procedures into a single surgery could increase the risk of deep venous thrombosis.  It is not uncommon to be treated with medications to prevent or reduce the risk of blood clots when abdominoplasty is performed, but it is rarely given during facelift surgery.  I would recommend staging the procedures a few days apart.

J. Kevin Duplechain, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Combining procedures

+1
It is well known that the risk of tummy tuck increases when combined with other procedures.  But it sounds like your tummy tuck would be a moderate size one and if the surgery doesn't exceed a total of six hours you will be okay to do it all together.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Multiple aesthetic procedures are often done.

+1
The procedures you list could theoretically be done at the same time. The list however seems fairly aggressive and I probably would not personally perform all of them in one sitting.

+1
  If your surgeon is an expert at all of these procedures, the total time would be less than 6 hours.   This may be safe in a healthy individual.

Combination surgery

+1
Presuming you are fit and healthy you could have all these procedures done in combination. I would tend to do the tummy tuck first and put you in the usual compression garments before addressing the face / neck  /eyes / chin. With the table slightly bent the tummy is in a good position and the face also in a good position so this way round is preferential. 
The surgery time should be less than 6 hours and as close to 4 hours as possible and if your surgery was complex and I perceived your anaesthesia to be longer than this I would recommend separating the procedures. You need to have a consult with at least two PS's to make an informed choice.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Multiple operations at one time

+1
  • A face lift, neck lift, upper and lower lids and chin implant PLUS a tummy tuck sounds like a lot.
  • But I have done this combinations safely in thin, fit people. 
  • If you were my patient, I would plan to do the tummy tuck at the end if I could finished surgery in 6 hours or less.
  • But if you feel it is too much surgery - split this into two operations. Listen to yourself as well as your surgeon.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Multiple procedures done together

+1
Multiple procedures can certainly be combined. Your overall safety should be the guiding principle. Some combinations work well together. Also, I would be concerned about surgeon fatigue. There is no question that as time goes on the surgeon may not be as precise as possible. If the combination is going to last more than 8 hours it might be a good idea to scale back.

Ronald Schuster, MD