Umbilical Hernia Was Not Repaired During my Tummy Tuck - Why?

I was suppose to go in for a tummy tuck and a umbilical hernia repair. However it was only after my third visit post operation I was told that the umbilical hernia was unable to be repaired due to complications. I was wondering what kind of complications would cause a hernia not to be repaired. I feel like I have been robbed. However, my stomach does look good. Also how invasive is it to go under the knife again to get it fixed? Can you get an outie navel pierced with a hernia.

Umbilical Hernia Repair with Tummy Tuck

+1

Since I am general surgery trained and plastic surgery trained, I routinely repair umbilical hernias at the same time as performing tummy tucks (abdominoplasty).  You say that there was some kind of "complication," so my advice would be to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  If you still need your hernia repaired, it is fairly straightforward and can likely be repaired laparoscopically after you are healed from the abdominoplasty.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Umbilical hernia usually repaired with tummy tuck.

+1

Hi.

I am sure your plastic surgeon can explain to you why the hernia was not repaired with your tummy tuck.  Think about your good result!

Umbilical hernia and tummy tuck, ..

+1

Treating an umbilical hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck increases the potential for compromised healing of the belly button. It is relatively easy to repair the this at a later date. The umbilcal hood of an outie belly button can be pierced.