What Type of Tummy Tuck Results Can Expect at my Current Weight?

I have lost over 50 pounds and im currently working with a trainer. The problem is everyting is getting smaller except for my stomach. It keeps dropping lower and lower but it is still filled with fat. I have an appt set up in October to meet with a plastic surgeon. What kind of result should I expect from the tummy tuck since I am still overweight?

Tummy tuck and realistic results

+1

In the best of all possible worlds, you would be at your ideal weight prior to surgery to control intra-abdominal as well as subcutaneous fatty deposits. A tummy tuck will reduce the extra skin and superficial fat but an hourglass figure is not a likely result.

Tummy Tuck

+1

It is wonderful that your hard work has paid off and you were able to lose that weight.  From your photograph it does look as if you would benefit from a tummy tuck.  With this procedure,most if not all of that overhang could be removed.  A tummy tuck treats the fat and access skin on the front of the abdomen but does not address the sides or "love handle" area.  I prefer liposuction of this area which really allows you to define the contours of your waist.

Best wishes and keep up the good work,

Neil Zemmel, MD

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Yes, you would benefit from a tummy tuck.  You will see dramatic improvement with resection of your skin and fat.  However, you need to be realistic that you are not going to come out of the operating room looking like a finely toned athlete.  If you are realistic in your expectations, then you should be very happy with your results.  Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Achieving the Good vs. Great Outcome

+1

Hi there-

I think you could achieve a very good outcome from a well executed tummy tuck now...

However, with continued exercise and achievement of an even more ideal body weight/BMI, you would be able to achieve a great outcome- a true transformation.

You will have to weight the benefits of having some improvement soon versus the chances that you might want a second operation to refine the outcome after your weight loss is complete.

Hope that helps- good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Results

+1

Thanks for the question and side view photo, You really need in person evaluations because you may have a superior hernia in your abdominal wall. 

Tummy tuck after weight loss, but still have weight to lose

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  You should have a good result from a tummy tuck, since most of your fullness is in your mid- and lower abdomen.  Liposuction for the hips and waist would be a good adjuvant to your tummy tuck. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at your results!  Keep working with your trainer, and look forward to your plastic surgery consult!

Carmen Kavali, MD

What kind of result should I expect from the tummy tuck since I am still overweight?

+1

Regarding: "What Type of Tummy Tuck Results Can Expect at my Current Weight?
I have lost over 50 pounds
and im currently working with a trainer. The problem is everyting is getting smaller except for my stomach. It keeps dropping lower and lower but it is still filled with fat. I have an appt set up in October to meet with a plastic surgeon. What kind of result should I expect from the tummy tuck since I am still overweight
?"

The BEST Tummy tuck results are seen in women who are at their IDEAL weight or have a BMI in the mid 20's. As the amount of abdominal or trunk weight goes up the amount of potential improvement will decrease. So while with YOUR weight you can still get a flat tummy and a much better figure than you have now, you will NOT get the result you can potentially have if you were thinner.

Another option may be a "debulking" liposuction in which much of the tummy and back fat was liposuctioned. This would remove the fat but result in skin sagging. I would then wait 6-8 months for everything to normalize, inflammation to resolve and blood supply to the skin to re-establish and at that point you could have a Tummy Tuck which would definitely yield a MUCH nicer result.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Should Have Good Result With Tummy Tuck

+1

First of all, it is great that you have been able to lose 50 pounds.  That is not an easy thing to do for anyone, and you should be proud of that fact. Asyou have lost the weight, you are losing fat in the abdomen, which is making the tissues looser, and hence hang more.  The more you lose, the more loose skin you will have and the more it will hang.  With regards to having a tummy-tuck, you should have a good result, as long as you have realistic expectations.  You are not going to have a six-pack with visible abdominal muscles etc.  But, you can achieve a flatter contour, less fat, and no overhang at all.  Certainly it works out better when someone has lost all of their weight and is at their goal, but that is not always achievable, and in some patients, the surgery can actually jump start them again.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon